Sunday, November 16, 2008

MY HERO



I don't know why I felt compelled to set out that day.
It had been snowing steadily for two days.Visibilty was poor.Only major roads were being cleared and the plows were working night and day.Secondary roads were completely snowed in.The weather report promised that it would clear up later that afternoon.

I had just graduated from college and I needed to work on my portfolio.I had been given permission to work in the studio at school,and use their photograpgic equipment.A graphic artist's portfolio is vital to landing a job.It could have waited a day or two,but,Like a total idiot,I insisted on going.

One or two of our neighbors had plows on the front of their trucks and had cleared a path to the main road.The main road wasn't too bad although,I could only see about fifty feet.It was going to clear up,right?
I got about thirty-five kilometers.That was a hell ride,the car skidding all over,in spite of snow tires.The snow seemed to be falling thicker now and visibility was worse,about twenty feet.Bloody,Canadian meteorologists.They check the weather by looking out the window,make predictions by tossing a coin.

I actually made it to the secondary road that led to the school.Only fiteen kilometers to go.The snow had drifted in on the road and obliterated all signs of it.The car inched forward.Visibilty became zero.
Even though I couldn't see the road,I ploughed on,regardless.At this point I had to reach someplace safe.
I had no idea if I was on the road or not.I wasn't.My right tire went over the edge of the ditch and I lost control of the car.Down I went into a six foot ditch,filled with snow.The front half of the car was completely buried.Both front doors were blocked.I couldn't open them.I flipped over into the back seat.The back of the car was sinking also.

After much shoving and ramming I got one of the doors partially open and crawled out into a completely white world.God help me,I had no sense of direction.I was near the road,right?All I had to do was wait for a car,going in any direction.
"Fool,no one is driving today."
For an hour and twenty minutes,I either stood outside looking in all directions for a car,a building,a light or I crawled back into the car,which had stabilized,and tried to stay warm under a blanket.Finally,I saw what seemed to be headlights.I started walking to meet it,waving my arms and a big jeep nearly ran me down.The driver couldn't see a little snow covered person against a white background.

He stopped and threw open the passenger door."Get in," he said.Oh,it was so nice and warm.I explained about the car.He said I would need a tow truck to get it out of there.
"I know where there is a dealership,maybe they can help you. I think they're open",he said cheerfully.He drove me to the opening of a long driveway,about half a kilometer.It was impassable"I guess you'll have to walk the rest of the way,"said Sir Gallahad."You can see it from here."I could see it.The snow had stopped.Those Canadian meteorologists sure know their business.

I thanked him and walked on.I was wet from thawing out in the jeep and now I started to freeze.I checked my fingers.They were white.That is a bad sign,the beginnings of frostbite.I pushed on.The deep snow slowed my progress.I couldn't see any lights on at the dealership."Oh please let someone be there."

PART TWO TOMORROW

5 comments:

  1. Snow. Oh my. It had 96 today over here - AREN'T YOU AT LEAST A BIT JEALOUS???
    I spent the day inside because the wind was really blowing insanly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I was writing this story,it took me back to that snowy day and I do envy you a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good. I know I sound a bit selfish but I hate snow a lot. In my youth we had 4 month of winter. Very often the snow was higher than me.
    It is so wet, so cold, so suffocating.
    My daughter is an avide skier, avid skater etc....while I couldn't bring myself to leave the house when it snowed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe me.After three months of winter,we so look forward to spring.And,summer is very hot up here,so we get a bit of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:40:00 AM

    I can't hardly wait for part two.
    I also want to hear about you coming home after marriage,with Brian waiting at the front door.
    I love true life romance..you can truly understand when you have found one of your own..My hats off to you and Brian.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs