Saturday, March 07, 2009

"GUMBO" Cooking with "CUPCAKE"


This is my take on gumbo...you use everything but the kitchen sink..everyone has leftovers...let's not throw them away.....save these in plastic freezer bags...it mounts up quickly.
Ham---chicken---turkey---pork roast.....smoked sausage....cut all in small pieces
2 lbs.okra cut in 5/8 inches
2 cup chopped onions
2 stalks celery with leaves chopped
1 large bell pepper chopped
40r 5 cloves of garlic ,minced
2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/3 teaspoon of dried thyme.....1 bay leaf
2 cups of skinned tomatoes or 1 can tomatoes
6 cups of water
2 pounds of fresh shrimp(I use more shrimp...I also leave them whole)
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
make a rue (to make a rue..is browning flour for gravy)saute all your meats lightly in a skillet...saute okra in pan dripping for about 5 minutes...if you are using con okra..skip the sautering.add onions for the last 2 minutes.
Add celery,green peppers,garlic,thyme,bay leaf,tomatoes,and water(if a thicker gumbo is desired...use less water.
Shell and divined from the shrimp.Let the soup boil and reduced the heat....let cook for about 2 hours...stirring occasionally...the last 30/45 minutes ,add your shrimp and parsley...simmer
Serve over boiled rice ....serves about 8 to 10 ....
My family like it hot so I also uses "Jalapeno Peppers"what ever your choice of taste...some like it in between...so it is up to you.....
I leave my shrimp whole....my family likes it that way....you can never make too much...my leftovers if I have any ...I put it in freezer bowls and put in freezer....don't last long ...dad will eat it for breakfast,so if there is a recipe you like let us know.....we have a million of them...just like grandmother used to make....see you soon....(GIGGLES)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:31:00 PM

    Jeannie you are enjoying knocking my ass down,I hear you laughing all the way here....The little fairy is weeping because the doctor told she can't do the nasty,well my man better be well rested...I might have learned some new moves,(GIGGLES)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...That gumbo is making my mouth water,just reading about it.I want some right now.
    If I make it for the twins,I know they'll love it.They like hot stuff.
    Do you like cooking Nee?It's not my favorite thing.
    How is that icy water?...HA!

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs