Thursday, June 03, 2010

Mass Murder in Cumbria...British Police Probe Family Fued

Derrick Bird, mass murderer
Tributes to slaughtered taxi driver

Relatives of shooting victim Darren Rewcastle gather to lay flowers at the taxi rank, Thursday, June 3, 2010 in Whitehaven, England where Rewcastle was shot dead during a shooting spree yesterday. British detectives are searching for clues to the motive behind a taxi driver's murderous rampage across a tranquil part of rural England, which left 12 people dead and 11 wounded before the gunman committed suicide. More than 100 detectives were investigating why 52-year-old Derrick Bird decided to go on a three-hour shooting spree Wednesday in the northwestern county of Cumbria.(AP Photo/Chris Clark)

Police officers look a body at the scene of a shooting in Seascale, Cumbria. The gunman went on a deadly rampage through a popular tourist region Wednesday, before apparently turning the gun on himself, police said.

Thu Jun 3, 4:58 PM

WHITEHAVEN ..Police struggled Thursday to piece together the final hours of a taxi driver who killed 12 people in a rampage through the scenic Lake District region, amid reports it was sparked by a family feud.
Derrick Bird, 52, had argued with fellow taxi drivers, at least one of whom was shot dead, while a dispute with his brother over his ageing mother's will may also have triggered Wednesday's massacre. Police confirmed Bird killed his twin brother David and the family solicitor, and said they were investigating speculation that financial or personal problems had pushed the gunman over the edge. The daughters of the murdered twin denied any family feud, however, although they said their father's attempts to help Bird had been his "downfall".

Bird also wounded 11 people as he drove through picturesque west Cumbria, calling people over to his car before opening fire or taking pot shots from the window. The rampage ended when Bird took his own life in a wood near the village of Boot, as armed police closed in on him.
Officers recovered a shotgun and a .22 rifle fitted with a telescopic sight. Police confirmed Bird had valid licences for both weapons.

More than 100 detectives were working to retrace Bird's deadly journey through an area popular with hill walkers to establish why a man described by neighbours as a "normal bloke" caused such mayhem. Reports suggested Bird might have planned the attacks the night before, when he got into an argument with other taxi drivers.
Afterwards Derrick shook all their hands and said, 'There's going to be a rampage tomorrow'," one of his colleagues told The Sun newspaper.
Other reports said an old friend of Bird's recalled that the killer had told him late Tuesday: "I won't see you again."

Reports said that Bird shot the family solicitor, 60-year-old Kevin Commons, at dawn and then murdered his twin brother David before driving to the taxi rank in the town of Whitehaven, and shooting three of his fellow cabbies. David's daughters Rachel, Tracey and Katie issued a statement describing their devastation at the loss of their father, a "loving character".
"We would like to take this opportunity to say there was absolutely no family feud. Our Dad's only downfall was to try and help his brother," it said.


Two other confirmed victims of the killing spree that followed were Susan Hughes, a 57-year-old mother of two, and Jane Robinson, 66, gunned down as she delivered catalogues door-to-door.
Detective Chief Superintendent Iain Goulding said it appeared the taxi driver selected some of his victims deliberately and others randomly. He said he was "absolutely determined" to find out why the spree had happened, but warned: "It may not be possible to establish all the answers because we cannot speak to Derrick Bird."

The detective said Bird had convictions for theft in the 1990s, but he had never been to prison and there was no record of him having mental problems. Bird's elderly mother, Mary, was said to be "stunned" by her son's actions. People who knew "Birdy", as the killer was widely known, described a man who lived alone but was popular. He was divorced, had two children and had recently become a grandfather.
David Cowman, a former colleague of Bird when he worked at the nearby Sellafield nuclear power plant 15 years ago, said he was "always pleasant". He said he thought Bird had "just flipped".
"I just couldn't believe it at all until I saw his photograph. I just couldn't believe it. I couldn't even sense it in him," he said.

Prime Minister David Cameron said the shooting, the worst in Britain since 16 children and their teacher were killed by a lone gunman at a primary school in Dunblane, Scotland, in 1996, was "appalling". But the premier, who is due to visit the region Friday, warned against a "knee-jerk" reaction to calls for tougher gun laws, saying: "You can't legislate for a switch flicking on in someone's head."

70 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:41:00 PM

    hi cutie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:43:00 PM

    How you doing? Mama resting okay??? I know Brian is being frisky.
    Was watching iron baby again.
    What ya doin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watching the mentalist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:45:00 PM

    I forgot to tell you if I'm online and get a e-mail it tells me right then...hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian just took his peppers. They make his eyes and nose run and make him cough and sneeze.They are some powerful peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:46:00 PM

    Me too...
    I wonder what got into than man to go on a murder spree. You think it's something they are putting in the bottle water...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:49:00 PM

    Are you keeping oral gel on hand???
    Do you give them to him everyday???
    If their is seeds you can get some and let them dry gor a week or so and put them in the flower bed and see if they come up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:51:00 PM

    Mexicans eat a lot of peppers and people say they hardly ever get sick, I guesss all the heat run the germs away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nana was quite cheerful today. I tried to talk her into the kidney dialysis but she knows that is a horrible procedure. It hurts and you have to have it for three hours, every other day.She says she will be happy dying in her own bed with her family around her.So, what can I do? We'll just go on as we are until something happens.

    I had a busy day today and it is nice to sit in my comfy chair and sip an herbal tea.
    I have fat summer clothes and skinny summer clothes and in between summer clothes. I pulled all the skinny clothes out today. I think they are the ones this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cleaned the house from top to bottom. I'm glad I did, but all the cleaning products make me sick, even though I use special environmentally safe ones.

    What did you do today. What are you doing right now, trimming the choochie??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:02:00 PM

    nana knows exactly what she wants and to have her family around her is what she wants, then dear friend you know you have granted her wish ,and made her as comfortable as you can, she's in constant pain now and she don't want no more pain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:02:00 PM

    See mine

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to see if I can grow them. From what I hear, they only grow in Jamaica. I only found one source. He is a Mexican man who lives up here. I found him at the farmers market. He won't eat habaneros. He says they are way too hot for him.The hottest peppers in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10:05:00 PM

    I am a little upset at the moment but I did bake the lemon cake again.
    You be careful with rhose products, I know you have to use them, but be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:07:00 PM

    Yes they are the hottest ...but who knows they may just grow there.
    Did you get mine ???

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got it. You are Speedy Gonzales. Why are you upset??
    You are young, beautiful,married to a guy you adore with gorgeous kids and you are surrounded by people who love you. Cheer up

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10:14:00 PM

    I was talikng to Nan and I told her I was no bodies fool and didn't like being taken for one.Am going into my fighting mode??/[giggles]

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous10:17:00 PM

    I may have to fire Mamie...she sent my babies up to Sis and sis asked them why they was there and the girls told her Mamie told them to go there she had company.Now that shit won't work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't allow them to upset you. They are not worth it.Don't give them the power to hurt you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous10:20:00 PM

    I was upset ...sis kept my babies there with her until I got in.
    I don't want people in my home I don't know and I made it clear to her.

    Oh...about the young part...my old ass is dragging.Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh dear,so that's what's upsetting you.
    That is something you will have to deal with.If it was during her working hours, then she mustn't take advantage of you that way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous10:22:00 PM

    No Mamie is the one that I'm upset about...
    I can always leave my babies with sis and really don't need help.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mamie must feel that she is a member of the family with all the privileges that go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a shame. She seemed perfect and blended into the family seamlessly.

    Well maybe she won't do it again. The sad thing is that she has damaged the trust you had for her.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous10:27:00 PM

    I will talk to her, I told her she was not to have visitors on my time and in my home, she said okay when I hired her, she's a giid worker but I don't know how long this has gone on...the girls just got out of school and I guess that messed up her plans because Gilly can't talk.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous10:30:00 PM

    I will talk with her and play it by ear, my babies like her. If I have to let her go that's it for me and housekeepers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wonder how you can find out if it has been going on for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous10:35:00 PM

    Did you take the twins to karate today???
    Boy, I'm glad you and the ROCK will go to the lake this weekend.
    Are you going skinny-dipping???

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loved that Iron Baby vid. It caused quite a sensation on the internet.The daddy made it. It's a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous10:42:00 PM

    I don't think I can because she's not going to tell the truth about it...I asked the girls was this the first time she sent them to sis and Sha says yes, but she stay on the phone a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous10:44:00 PM

    That's a girl?? I looked at it twice...
    I also got Charles picture I don't know why but it's so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The lake is too friggin cold and there are a lot of nosy people out on that water. Mid July it will be warm as a bath.
    Leno just said they have a bacon flavored Vodka on the market...Yuk. Sounds like something a Canadian would do.

    Every year we have a big benefit up here to raise money for cancer.

    They fill a swimming pool with jello and all the local celebs and politicians have to go down a slide into the jello. They raise millions every year. We like stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous10:47:00 PM

    I guess I'm getting mellow in my old age, I know the time I would have been like a bull in a china shop.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous10:50:00 PM

    That sounds lke a lot of fun, wouldn't mind trying it myself.
    The Canadians know how to have good clean fun.

    ReplyDelete
  35. It will be good for you to get a little mellow. As long as you don't lose that lively spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  36. We're like two halves of a whole. I am mellow and you are fiesty.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous10:58:00 PM

    I heard on the news that BP thinks they have stopped the leak, I hope so, but it's too late for a lot of places..even Cuba is worried, they thinks the oil will spread all over.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I tried not to read anything about the oil spill today. I am so disturbed and sickened by it, but I just saw on tv that the people in Florida are panicking. The slick is moving in faster than they thought.God, PIC what are they going to do??

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous11:01:00 PM

    You are right again my friend...
    Nan says I will never lose my hot temper...Nan said she left you a note I think she said on the jungle post.

    ReplyDelete
  40. What are the odds that we would comment on the oil spill at the same time?? Probably a million to one. We are spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous11:05:00 PM

    I learned today that BP and the coast gaurd kept a lot of this hid from the public and a lot of scientists are saying if they had been truthful up front maybe something could been done sooner.
    I didn't read about it today it was a news break just then.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous11:09:00 PM

    That's happening more and more lately we are kindred spirits, I often think about what brought us together and it wasn't luck.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it works this time.
    I got Nan's message. She's outtonight but she is going to write me another letter.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Anonymous11:10:00 PM

    I hope Lina's cold is better...we haven't heard from her today.

    ReplyDelete
  45. If you go to your live feed camera you will see the oil spewing out as strongly as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous11:16:00 PM

    Yes James carried her out to dinner at the Horseshoe and a little gambling...they wanted us to go but Gil told james he had some briefs to look over , I was so glad I didn't want to go out, I like staying home now and just have fun with my babies...
    Loed, PIC, I'm getting old...

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous11:19:00 PM

    I did..you are right L think they tell the public what they want too and that's wrong this is our lives.
    The CEO is suppose to step down.

    ReplyDelete
  48. You're not getting old luv, you are getting your priorities straight. There is nothing out there that is better than what you have at home.Your time with the babies will fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  49. The CEO said on camera that he will be glad when this is over so he can get his life back. That was inappropriate in view of the fact that eleven people died and the gulf of Mexico has been destroyed.

    It was a completely selfish remark.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Anonymous11:28:00 PM

    He may get his life back but what about the rest of us...I don't live down near the coast but it's affecting us here and it will only get worse....seafood has sky-rocketed.They also grow rice in south La.

    ReplyDelete
  51. The oil will find it's way into the rice paddies. The marshlands have been penetrated very deeply by the oil.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Anonymous11:33:00 PM

    I bet Phil will have some stories to tell this weekend and I bet the twins love his stories about where he's been and done while he was away.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oil kills everything it touches. Crude burns when it gets on your skin. That's why so many of those water birds die.It also penetrates the skin through the pores and gets into the bloodstream and poisons small animals.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anonymous11:34:00 PM

    They say it was more oil beneath the waters than on top.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Phil and Jakey have a special relationship.Phil sends him postcards and souvenirs from wherever he is.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Anonymous11:36:00 PM

    A lot of people that's working is getting sick and is afriad if they say they are sick they will lose their jobs...what a shame they don't value human life more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Anonymous11:38:00 PM

    Thats wonderful and I know Jakey just love it, Phil is a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  58. The oil below the surface is more dangerous than the stuff floating on top. They can't scoop it up and it will kill the plants in the marshlands below the surface so they won't grow back.

    Well I guess I have depressed us both enough for the night.
    Did you hear about the guy in Florida who kept teasing an alligator until it bit him in the leg and nearly tore it off

    ReplyDelete
  59. What an idiot. Some guys never learn. he'll just go out and find some new idiotic thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Anonymous11:45:00 PM

    AL/Tipper Gore are the last people I thought would get a divorce, I think they still love each other he just trying to get people to wake up to climate change and was away from home long periods of time.
    Your man can stay away so much and you get lonely and you began to feel you may just as well seperate.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Anonymous11:47:00 PM

    No I didn't hear about that fool, he sure is a dumb-ass.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I think I better check on my patients and let old Maxy out. The vet says Maxy is overweight and he has been put on a diet. Ever since we chopped off his balls he started eating more. He went from being obsessed with sex to being obsessed with eating.Poor guy, he keeps banging on the cupboard door where I keep the dog treats but I can't give him more than two a day.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Anonymous11:49:00 PM

    I have learned so much about my surrounding and the world I live in , before I met you I would be like the rest of these fool.
    Want to know what got me started???

    ReplyDelete
  64. That's exactly what happened the Gores. The long separations made them start to feel indifferent to each other. He will suffer more from it than she will.

    ReplyDelete
  65. What got you started??????

    ReplyDelete
  66. Anonymous11:53:00 PM

    Keep a close check on them and I hope they are resting well.

    The Polar Bears is what got me started.


    Good night sweetie and pleasent dream and may they all come true.
    I will be at the old wind-mill after the sun sets.
    GOODNITE...HUGS&KISSES...PIC
    KISS THE ROCK...

    ReplyDelete
  67. Anonymous11:56:00 PM

    Post Script: I think they still love each other:

    ReplyDelete
  68. The old clock on the wall says 12:53 AM and that's when I turn into a vampire bat and fly out the window for some fun.
    I see you down at the old fishing hole and I'll bring the fried chicken and pie. We'll do a little fishin and mellow out.
    I am so sorry about Mamie. It hurts when someone betrays your trust . I hope she turns around and changes her attitude.Be a shame to lose her. Have a good sleep and it will seem a lot better in the morning....Night honey ...PIC

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs