Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Homemade Orange and Walnut Biscotti...Hope you enjoy it G

 You’re sure to have seen biscotti somewhere, even if you’ve never been to Italy. They’re those long chunks of biscuit that you find on sale in the big coffee chains. They’ve often got bits of almond inside – and can be tooth-breakingly hard. In Italy you’ll often get a small biscotto in your saucer with your coffee – you’re meant to dip the biscuit in the coffee, which softens it up. I have always loved dunking biscotti in my coffee.
Biscotti means twice cooked, and there are several variations on the basic recipe: some are sweetened with honey, others flavoured with lemon or anise. They are said to date back to Renaissance times, when banquets included all sorts of sweet treats. The flavour of homemade biscotti is far nicer than many of the versions you can buy. And they’re not as difficult to make as you might think. My friend's father-in-law is Italian and  loves biscotti also, so I hunted up this recipe for him. I  thought it was quite a good one, nice and crunchy.

Homemade Orange and Walnut Biscotti – Recipe:



Ingredients: – makes around 40 biscotti
310g (11oz/2 ½ cups) plain (all purpose) flour, plus extra for rolling
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
170g (6oz/¾ cup) caster (superfine) sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
Grated zest of 3 oranges
2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
250g (9oz/2 ½ cups) walnut halves, lightly toasted and roughly chopped


Method:
Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar.


Crack the eggs into another bowl, then add the orange zest and vanilla and mix well using a fork. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until nearly combined. Using your hands, knead briefly to form a firm dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead the walnuts into the dough.


Divide the dough into three equal portions. Working with one piece at a time, roll each portion to form a 29cm (11 ½ inch) log. Gently pat the surface to flatten the log to a 4cm (1 ½ inch) width, then place on the baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, or until the logs are light golden and firm. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.


Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C (300°F/Gas 2). When the biscotti logs are cool enough to handle, place them on a chopping board and, using a sharp, serrated knife, cut them on the diagonal into slices 1cm (1/2 inch) thick.


Arrange the slices in a single layer on two lightly greased baking trays. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the biscotti are dry, swapping the trays around halfway through baking. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:57:00 PM

    My dear sweet recipe lady,
    Hope all's well with you and your dear husband has continued to improve.
    I haven't forgot you my dear, things is in such a uproar here. It's quieted down quite a bite now, I do think of you each time my daughter bake one of your recipes and that is almost everyday.
    My daughter said there was a new Biscotti recipe for me, it's looks real delicious and I asked was we having it today and she said no, tomorrow , we was having the Strawberry one today.
    I put our household begger to the task but he wasn't any help, she gave him a cookie and he was happy.
    My daughter says your dear husband brought you a new car now that's a man that know how to take care of his lady love.
    My daughter showed me how to get here so now I know and will visit often.
    A lot is going on here nothing I can't handle. The best part is my daughter is very happy as it should be.
    So my dear lady thanks for the Bisotti and I will let you know tomorrow how it taste.
    So I bid you good evening.
    Big G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:21:00 PM

    My dear sweet recipe lady,
    As promise, a report on the biscotti.
    My daughter baked the bicotti today and I dare say it was superb.
    Big G.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs