Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Thankyou American Idol


American idol had it's premiere show of the season,tonight.I didn't watch it.I never watch the early eliminations.Some of the contestants are so appallingly bad,I get embarassed.I'll catch up with it,later in the season.
Ratings were down seven percent last year,but,no one panicked.A show of that stature can take a pretty good pounding and still come out intact.It had such a strong finale,with the showdown between David Cook and David Archuleta,that it came out on top again.It was a real cliffhanger.
This year,something new was added,grammy nominated,song writer/producer, Kara DioGuardi.Time will tell if she is an asset.


***I started watching the show,when my daughter was on dialysis.We often went with her,to keep her company.
Dialysis is pure torture for kidney patients.They have to lie on a chaise lounge kind of contraption,strapped to a board for at least three hours,and they cannot move.They have their blood completely drained from their bodies through a type of shunt or valve,permanently implanted in their chests or arms.The blood is cleaned and transfused back into their bodies,simultaneously.The blood is kept warm by the dialysis unit,but the patients still get freezing cold and tremble ,sometimes,quite violently.It can also be painful.
The first time she ever had the dialysis,I had to hold her down with my body because she panicked and struggled to get away.She would have bled to death.
Each unit has a little TV on an arm over the chaise,so the patients can watch.The only night dialysis was bearable to my daughter,was the night American Idol was on.She loved that show and the other patients and the nurses watched too,so they had something to talk about.We watched together and the time passed a little faster.
Thank God that awful time is over,at least for now.Thankyou American Idol.Who knows how many people you've helped through a dark time.

Posted by Picasa

20 comments:

  1. As always, Jeannie. Great article. I watch a lot of Reality Shows - out of boredom - but I stay away from dancing and talent-shows.

    Jeannie. What exactly did you find fascinating about "A new art form? Tinkers babbling about Lexicon being "art" (HUh???) or?
    Please explain, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:47:00 AM

    Jeannie I understand some of the pain/heartache you had,but thankful it has pass for now...nothing left but sunshine and rainbows....it is amazing where you can find comfort...in a show like American Idol...I have two relatives with Kidney problems,the not moving is hard on them....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you still wtch it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:24:00 PM

    I did not say I watch it,yes I have watch the show...The pain that kidney patients go though is terrifying....I do like dancing/talent/skating...I guess because I do all those things myself.I traveling...I do quite a bit ..this summer I hope to go to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if you saw the other comment.It was a Google translation from French.Unfortunately,Google translations are lousy,too literal.
    But,it was from a nurse who works in the oncology dep't in a large hospital.She praised us ,or rather,Vixen,for writing an article with so much understanding about the pain and torture kidney patients go through.She said it was a good change from all the gossip,lies and insults.She must read our blog quite often to know all that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:51:00 PM

    I must have miss the one about the kidney post,maybe I was out of town or having baby...looked for it ...Where?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The comment was about this post.I approved it last night and put it in the comments.It's been eliminated somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a nice post,really complimented Vixen for a good article.But,I don't think we should just do medical articles.
    The lies,insults and gossip are more fun,at least the gossip is.
    I don't know what lies she is referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeannie, I saw it too. However, this person has left dozens of insulting comments over the last few days. I doubt it was a genue comment (my take)

    Jeannie, what did you find fascinating?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know what lies she is referring to.

    Me neither. However, this convinced me that this is the same person that spammed us a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not the same person.It was genuine.
    very complimentary.Knew about oncology,and said she was a nurse at a large metropolitan hospital,She said that dyalisis is definitely torture for kidney patients.I speak a fair amount of French and recognized the pattern of speech.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:25:00 PM

    Well I am not going to worry about Her/him just wants some love,I know I try not to miss out...I have something I am e-mailing the both of you,

    ReplyDelete
  13. I checked the stats shortly after it was posted. It was the same IP/Location the other person - whose comments were NOT published - came from.
    Besides, that she mentioned "lies" didn't ring a bell with you?

    Besides, it is clear to eveyone who can read that YOU Jeannie wrote the article. WHY is she addressing ME?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1:54:00 PM

    you ladies have all the fun,we will gossip/whatever...but really I don't no reason why we can't talk about medical stuff,if it happens to us,you know it is 9 of us kids...between us we have35 kids,now with a family that size a lot of us is sick or crazy,anyway Jeannie was speaking about her daughter...Vix you also has a point...who else says we lie/insult people,but we will have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1:58:00 PM

    keep up the good work..we shall not give them attention that they are wanting,Jeannie you are right;I will not be baited in,nor will either one of us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Agreed CC. It is a great post and a heartwarming story. I wonder if Jeannie still watches the show. The new season will air tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am curious at what CC has to tell us...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous2:09:00 PM

    don't they understand we like getting together..visiting...talking about our families and things that happens in our lives...Remember Vix when Jeannie told me we could have our own town.with 35 kids between us ,just think how much shit I could talk about,I guess I will go back to my little nasty self.(GIGGLES)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous2:10:00 PM

    it was some nasty ,really nasty pictures of nan's friend,but I can't find them,I guess she took them back.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs