Saturday, May 22, 2010

Simon Cowell Speaks of His depression and Admits Mistakes




A very young Simon

The X Factor: New Show

Simon Cowell showed Americans his softer side on Thursday, telling Oprah Winfrey he suffered from depression and that he had made "some absolutely horrific mistakes" in the past.
The normally abrasive "American Idol" judge said during an appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" that he was prone to dark moods.
"I get very, very down," Cowell said "Pretty much depression. (But) what I always say is, 'You're taking yourself too seriously, so stop it.' At the same time, you should never put a painted smile on. When you're feeling down, you're feeling down."
Cowell, 50, who also has his own record label and created the TV shows "America's Got Talent" and "The X-Factor," said he sometimes felt drained by the demands of his work.
"You just become aware that a lot of people depend on you, rely on you, or you're not giving people the time you should be giving them. It's almost like a guilt thing, and that does drain me," he said.
Often seen as arrogant because of his stinging put-downs to aspiring singers, Cowell admitted that he had a strong ego.But life hasn't always been kind. He recalled the time 20 years ago when he lost his job, car and home and had to move back to live with his parents in Britain when a business deal went wrong.
"I made some absolutely horrific mistakes. I believed my own ego, believed my own hype, believed my own abilities, and lots of times it came crashing down," he said. "I thought I was absolutely untouchable."
Cowell's interview with Winfrey was broadcast a week before the May 26 finale of "American Idol", which will mark the end of his eight year association with the most-watched TV show in the United States. Personally, I would like to thank Simon for eight years of good entertainment.
I wish the new show much success.

3 comments:

  1. Hi PIC! It's been raining cats and dogs all day here. It's Saturday. Bought some more plants. Too nasty to plant today. Picked out some patio stone. Took Nana out for lunch. Now we are going to have a nice dinner and watch a movie and I'll catch up on my sewing. Brian is in a great mood and that makes my day.

    Hope all your crew are feeling dandy (or randy, depending on who it is) And I hope your weather is better than this.We don't mind the rain now. Our summers tend to be hot and dry. Have a really good one...hugs..PIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:43:00 PM

    Hi Swettie...Glad you are enjoying the weekend even with the rain.
    Made plans to go out tonight but had to cancel because there is thunderstorms warning here, so I got some movies for tonight, so my bunch will jump in my bed tonight with popcorn and whatever to watch movies...they love to do that..
    Gilly was up around 5:am and woke the girls and they was up about 5:30am I covered my head and turned over amd Gil was up and made them breakfast, he's an early riser..Saturdays is my late day to sleep in and they love for him to make breakfast, he gives them coffee(it's mostly milk).
    Gilly says pee and poo sometime he still make a woopsie, I train Jill and left my little man to his daddy to train, he put him on the pottie around the same time and stayed with him so I guess he got the idea. They say boys are hard to train. Sis says Chris was trained around 14/15 months.
    I know Nana enjoyed her lunch and it made you feel good you and Nana do girlie things and enjoy being out together.
    I know you are at your highest point of happiness when Brian is feeling good and I am so glad for you.
    Did the "ROCK" enjoy the company dinner? I know he was glad when it was over and he returned home. We are giving Gil's staff and family a picnic on the 30th of this month and the day off for Memorial Day 31st this month.They are a pretty nice bunch.
    I'm being nice...I asked Betts if she wanted to help since Leon/Gil is talking about partnership, and please don't talk so much about herself because that turns people off. There are 6 lawyers in the firm now with Leon and Gil has only one partner, he's the one that relocated from Reno after he open the office here.
    I told Betts she will have to get her act together because Gil was all business because a lot of people depend on him to keep things going. I also told her to stop dressing like she was going to a photo shot.
    Our summers gets hotter than a dick's hat band.

    We are having chicken/dumplings , salad and some more stuff for dinner, dad says it's about time for some dumplings, the old coot find out what's cooking and here he comes...of course I made the bread pudding and I put raisins in it and made two because Chris and his wife will be down later.
    Well PIC...I will talk a little later, I could go on and on but you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:47:00 PM

    I think Simon will do good with the new show(X-Factor) I for one is looking forward to seeing it..
    I hear talk about Paula might be joining him? I hope so...you never know what to expect when Simon /Paula get together but it's always good...

    HUGS/KISSES....PIC

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs