Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Photography Can be dangerous

Subject: Grand Canyon Photographer.

This was a case of one photographer taking pictures of another.The following photos were taken by Hans van de Vorst of the Netherlands at the edge of the Grand Canyon - Arizona. The descriptions are his own. The identity of the photographer is unknown.

I was simply stunned to see this guy standing on a solitary rock at the grand canyon. The canyon's depth is 900 metres (3000 ft). The rock on the right is next to the canyon wall and is much safer. Watching this guy in his flip flop sandals, with camera and tripod, raised some questions. How did he get there with photographic equipment in tow? How will he get back? Why didn't he take the sunset picture from the safe rock?

After the sun set behind the canyon's horizon he packed up his things and prepared to jump.This process took about two minutes. At that point he was the focus of all the tourists visiting the canyon. He is now at the point of no return.

He jumped in his flip flops. Now you can see the safe rock is higher, so he had to land lower which was quite steep and use his free hand to try and grab hold of the rock.
We've come to the end of this story. Look carefully at the photographer. He has a camera,a tripod and also a plastic bag, all on his shoulder or in his left hand. Only his right hand is available to grab the rock and the weight of his stuff is a problem. He lands low. Both his right hand and right foot are slipping. At that very moment I take this shot. He then pushes his body against the rock, waits for a few seconds, throws his stuff up on the flat rock,climbs up and walks away, presumably to a bathroom to change his shorts. I know I had to change mine and I was just watching....Hans van de Vorst

2 comments:

  1. Well PIC,by tomorrow we should hit 40,000.Congrats on a job well done.For two people who didn't know what the hell we were doing, we've done very well.I'm proud of us.

    Thankyou to all the readers who have done us the honor of coming to visit.We will try to keep improving and upgrading.Suggestions are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:05:00 PM

    Yes indeed PIC, My hat's off to you dear friend...
    [giggles] Speak for yourself, I still don't know what the hell I'm doing...but boy it sure is fun.
    A lot of times I wanted to give up, but you kept telling me to hang in there,so here I am.
    My thanks to all I readers also,if we bring a simle to your face, thats what we want. As my PIC said, we would love to hear your input.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs