Sunday, August 09, 2009

"Mayor , Council sound off Politics as Usual "

Camaraderie is on the skids at Shreveport City Hall. Political stress is nothing new . But Shreveport captured plenty of attention recently when city council members walked out of their meeting during a mayoral speech. As Mayor Cedric Glover put it:" That whole interaction and that whole exchange is a microcosm of what that relationship has been like."
Council members agree their bond with the mayor and his staff on the second floor of Goverment Plaza is strained. Each of them offers different anecdotes, but a recurring problem they cite is communication.
Antagonism, as Council-woman Joyce Bowman puts it, hasn't always existed between the Mayor and Shreveport's top board. She says that the first year,there was nothing the Mayor asked for, that the council didn't do. That included a 6-1 vote to approve Henry Whitehouse as police chief and for finding money to pay for summer youth jobs.
"Something changed in the second year",Bowman said. "We didn't have access to him. It was a communication break-down."

In year two of Glover's four year-year term, council members forced Glover to get rid of a city-funded Chevrolet Suburban he said was for his safety. By the third year, the council was demanding more accountability for Glovers trips on the city's dime and his staffers use of city credit cards.
Recent news that the Mayor's office and the city department heads are planning to relocate the non-profit Multi-cultured Center of the South, took the council members by surprise..
."We read about everything in the newspaper,basically," Council Chairman Ron Webb said." To be honest with you, I feel that the mayor is trying to be a one man show and take credit for every good thing that comes along."

"Keeping the cat in the bag",the mayor said,"isn't intended to irriate the council, we are trying to to pull together a specific plan and strategy, there's not really much to lay out until you're able to bring it together. Especially with a council that you know will be looking for flaws."
Another aspect of the mayors office the council views as an obstacle is something Glover considers a good security measure. Unlike other floors in the Government Plaza , doors are locked. They require electoronic badges to enter.
"It's just like a fortress. That to me, kind of fosters an us and them situation". Councilman Monty Walford said.
" Safety measures to place checks and balances on Glover is preposterous," Councilman Calvin Lester said."Some of my colleagues believe every decision made by the mayor's office has to be checked out. That's not the way our system works."
Councilman Michael Long often avoids back-and-forth with the mayor and councilmembers. He says the the more pressing issue is day-to-day management of the city.
Still the council members take a hard line approach, and none points to ways to improve communications with the mayor.
" I think we are just fine in our demeanor and in our communication", said Councilman Bryan Wooley, who has positioned himself against Glover on several occasions, particularly police funding.

"I don't think the mayor sees a need to work with the council." Councilman Joe Shyne also served with..."not under" he is quick to say, the last 3 mayors.
"We always kept ourselves very professional .We never took any cheap shots at each other".
Shyne often jokes about knowing the Mayor when he was a child. He and Glover have been family friends for decades. But that doesn't ease the former educator-coach's harsh words. Shyne said the Mayor never had a job in the real world, everybody around him works for him and they tell him ."KING" everything is all right.
Glover said he can handle disparagement." We're not sent here to love each other, it's great if it happens,the people do send us here to constructively engage in doing the business of the city of Shreveport."

Bowan hopes the mayor will take a leadership role in making peace. Councilman Michael Long said "I think the enormity of the job is probaby overwhelming him [the mayor] at some level.
Councilman Ron Webb said "communication is worse than horrible".
Mayor Cedric Glover said, "One of the things that's fundamental to effective government is a level of civility that makes it possible for us to be able to agree without being disgreeable."


My take on this: Take a look at what's running our city/state government, and you can see see why everyone makes fun/jokes about us. How can you lead the people when you have no direction of your own. All of our leaders can't be chiefs, some of us have to be little indians that follow. But hey that's just me...stay tune: more on Louisinana politics as they become available.
news:Acausey@garrett.com%20%20%20%20sheveport%20times

29 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:20:00 PM

    Hi PIC
    Hope you had a great outing today on the lake with the you know who and doing you know what..[giggles]
    Just stop in to tell you the latest we found out."Sharon Harvey is bach on myspace with her DC magazine, Dodo says a some of her followers are friends with her, and Sharon is just like"Heidimarie" , she is still hung up on Vixen, the poor soul.
    Sharon may..or..maybe not know DC but she don't say the same thing. I haven't visit her yet, but i will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's interesting..Hi PIC

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a frightening thunder storm this morning.Then it cleared up so we went out on the lake for a few hours.Had some nice fuzzy peaches,did a little tap dancing and heard thunder again.We rushed back to the dock and the heavens opened and nearly drowned us.

    We got in the car,soaked to the skin and on the way home had a terrifying storm with lightening strikes coming very vlose to us.

    God was angry.All we did was have a little nookie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have an interesting municipal government.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:37:00 PM

    Hope everyone is good and you don't have rain...we are doing better weather wise..had a cookout , made your "Bone Sucking " sauce and boy did they like it..Nan did the chicken,we also did the ribs like the chicken,Dad made punch . We had a nice time, some of the neighbors was over. You enjoy the rest of your evening and we will talk at a later date.
    My man is in a little better mood ,still peeved at me a little. He says he wants his wife back, I told him I never went away..
    I think I have been neglecting him a little, but I will make it up to him.
    So have a good night snuggle up to the "Ever-ready Rock" and as always your friend and spiritual sister...LUV...LUV...NEE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:37:00 PM

    I did catch you,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:39:00 PM

    Yes and very weird, some has been in jail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:41:00 PM

    I am so glad you and Brian made it home safely. Was Maxy with you. How is Nana?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maxy was shaking like a leaf all day.Nana's watching tv and drinking vodka.She didn't notice the storms...HA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you had a nice day.You are nit getting too mnay of them lately are you?
    Was this your house warming party?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:48:00 PM

    See she the vodka is a help. Poor Maxy was afraid of the storms.
    And others think they have a bad city Gov't. HA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Come live here.The biggest decision lately was to put a'goose crossing' across River Road so the Canada geese can get from our stream to the park across the road.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If this weather is a taste of things to come I am leaving this planet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:53:00 PM

    No it was a day without rain..I told you these fools will party at the drop of a pin. Gil wants to go away for a few days before school starts, I guess I will move my stuff in and have it when I get back...this will be the second one in a year. I think I will ask them not to buy gifts, just give me donations for my bears.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a good reason to have a party.(no rain)The contributions are a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous9:57:00 PM

    We had talked about living there, maybe thats what he meant when he said north. I won't have to worry about my house.
    I will have to said in all winter, I don't know how to drive in snow.hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10:02:00 PM

    [giggles] I don't want them to think I just buy houses to get gifts, just had one less than a year ago...
    You can understand why the Mayor wanted a very big "SUV".

    ReplyDelete
  18. You can't stay in.You have to learn to ski-doo and ice skate and make ice forts and igloos.The kids will love it.Of course sometimes you have to dig your way out of the house.If the snow gets too deep,you just stay in and fuck and eat till you're huge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Speaking of huge,That man needs a crane to lower him onto his wife,if he hasn't smothered her already.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous10:08:00 PM

    Gil says the schools are much better there and the kids would pick up the language quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So that's why you change houses twice a year so you can have a party and get gifts.Of all the spoiled....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brian and I made up the good old fashioned way.I told you,make-up sex is the best.Brian thinks sex is better if you're angry.It gives it an edge.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous10:12:00 PM

    He is as tall as Gil..when I went to his office to give him a piece of my mind,I walk right in.
    I would love that {fucking] hahaah

    ReplyDelete
  24. There's always the chance, when having nookie on the boat, that a ranger will see it rocking and pull up along side and yell,"Ahoy there,are you folks okay?"

    They did that last week,fortunately we weren't having sex at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous10:19:00 PM

    Brian that little devil. He wasn't mad at all, he just wanted some make up sex..you go Brian. I had a little , but I am going to get a lot tonight, I put Gilly's ass down , if I let Gil put him down they will be playing all night.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think you better go and collect that make-up sex bfore he gets too tired.I'm nice and relaxed.It's your turn.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous10:24:00 PM

    Gosh I bet that is a lot of fun.
    I haven't made nookie on a boat yet,I don't think a cruise ship count. I can't wait, I think I will tell him to rent one and we go out.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous10:29:00 PM

    I will and he was smiling at me all day, and patting my butt, almost like old times.

    I will see you tomrrow and you have a great night and sweet dreams...
    Love you a lot...PIC...Nee

    I am going to wear his ass out.hahaha Nite

    ReplyDelete
  29. Enjoy....luv...luv...PIC

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs