Monday, June 15, 2009

Worlds Collide


A force known as 'orbital chaos' may cause our Solar System to go haywire, leading to possible collision between Earth and Venus or Mars, according to a study released Wednesday.
The good news is that the likelihood of such a smash-up is small, around one-in-2500.
And even if the planets did careen into one another, it would not happen before another 3.5 billion years.
Indeed, there is a 99 percent chance that the Sun's posse of planets will continue to circle in an orderly pattern throughout the expected life span of our life-giving star, another five billion years, the study found.
After that, the Sun will likely expand into a red giant, engulfing Earth and its other inner planets -- Mercury, Venus and Mars -- in the process.
Astronomers have long been able to calculate the movement of planets with great accuracy hundreds, even thousands of years in advance. This is how eclipses have been predicted.
But peering further into the future of celestial mechanics with exactitude is still beyond our reach, said Jacques Laskar, a researcher at the Observatoire de Paris and lead author of the study.
"The most precise long-term solutions for the orbital motion of the Solar System are not valid over more than a few tens of millions of years," he said in an interview.
Using powerful computers, Laskar and colleague Mickael Gastineau generated numerical simulations of orbital instability over the next five billion years.
Unlike previous models, they took into account Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity. Over a short time span, this made little difference, but over the long haul it resulted in dramatically different orbital paths.
The researchers looked at 2,501 possible scenarios, 25 of which ended with a severely disrupted Solar System.
"There is one scenario in which Mars passes very close to Earth," 794 kilometres (493 miles) to be exact, said Laskar.
"When you come that close, it is almost the same as a collision because the planets gets torn apart."
Life on Earth, if there still were any, would almost certainly cease to exist.
To get a more fine-grained view of how this might unfold, Laskar and Gastineau ran an additional two hundred computer models, slightly changing the path of Mars each time.
All but five of them ended in a two-way collision involving the Sun, Earth, Mercury, Venus or Mars. A quarter of them saw Earth smashed to pieces.
The key to all the scenarios of extreme orbital chaos was the rock closest to the Sun, found the study, published in the British journal Nature.
"Mercury is the trigger, and would be be the first planet to be destabilised because it has the smallest mass," explained Laskar.
At some point Mercury's orbit would get into resonance with that of Jupiter, throwing the smaller orb even more out of kilter, he said.
Once this happens, the so-called "angular momentum" from the much larger Jupiter would wreak havoc on the other inner planets' orbits too.
"The simulations indicate that Mercury, in spite of its diminutive size, poses the greatest risk to our present order," noted University of California scientists Gregory Laughlin in a commentary, also published in Nature.

29 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:39:00 AM

    What a great read,I ask my man for his take on this article.He said it was well written in layman's terms where even I can understand what is being said about 'orbital chaos' a lot of things of importance need to be said in a plain native language of the people so each one will understand.
    He also said we may not be here at the rate we are destroying our planet. We don't need the planets to have a collision with each other,we are doing just great all by ourselves.Global Warming, Greenhouse Gas".
    Gil says well done ,and just like "Ripley's Believe It Or Not" there are more people coming on board,adding their voices to the crowd. We will be amaze how many people lives we have touch.Never think about the people that dislike us...because they fear us,for being ourselves.hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only two crazies dislike us,and I feel sorry for them.They could have been friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:20:00 PM

    I made it hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. The earth will end in about 5 billion years anyway.Planets have a kind of life span and so do stars like our sun.it will go super nova and destroy the earth anyway.Don't worry, none of your descendants will be here .The earth will not be habitable at that point and we will be long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:23:00 PM

    They are unhappy people,you can't build yourself up at the expense of others,I think the fool did me a favor by running that post.everyone seen whats ladies we are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like astronomy. It brings me closser to the origin of life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:25:00 PM

    Gil really like the way you write,so everyone can understand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately they are crazy,especially the one named KRoselyn or something like that.She'll totally gonzo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:27:00 PM

    I am going to finish my profile,I had about 50/60 views,after dodo,I have a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I rather fancy the idea of living on Jupiter, but that probably will not be possible.When the sun becomes a red giant it will destroy our entire solar system.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:31:00 PM

    Is this Kroselyn still at us..she needs a lube job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:34:00 PM

    Have you notice,none will put their stats where you can see them,dodo have her myspace e-mail address up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:35:00 PM

    I have the only e-mail address I need and it's just for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dave Letterman had a professor on talking about global warming.He was very good.He thinks it's all about getting people motivated to save the planet.people would rather deal with it later than right now.They need an example in front of them that will scare the bejesus out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:40:00 PM

    I do believe my man is right,those two loonies dislike us because they fear us,they figure we was going to fold up and blow away,we are still here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous11:42:00 PM

    I really think we are getting some people interested ,I know we are growing here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. KRoselyn worships Dodo and echoes everything she says.She is the more aggressive of the two.She's the one who was hassling Keyser.I used to fight with her on Vipix. I wish you had been there. You are good in a fight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that just like on DCR, the readers are more interested in the story going on behind the posts.Remember the nice security guy? He loved to read your comments and mine and Brit's.The people he worked with too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous11:48:00 PM

    The man I met at the Civic Center that wasn't prepared and the people walked out,said we needed to have another meeting..I told him I could get one of the ballrooms at the hotel at no cost,but we had to be prepared,needed all our ducks in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous11:54:00 PM

    Thankyou,I wish so too,I don't like people ganging upon others ,and not knowing why..I have never wanted someone to agree with me,you wouldn't be a true friend..I know Vix and I butt heads ,now that girl could give you a run for your money..and had the gall to tell me she likes butting heads with me..to me she was a friend as best as she could be .

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't believe people are so stupid. I'm going to try and think up a way to show them the scary future if we don't all come to the party together.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous11:59:00 PM

    The nice security guy still reads us and laughs..he says he will be back..we are much more interesting now that when you tuned in you don't know what you will get.MAC

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous12:00:00 AM

    He wanted to know if you named Maxy after him ,if so that was love.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous12:03:00 AM

    Do Larry King,the NE is sold out here in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sure, I named the dog after Mac.If that floats his boat. I forget everyone's name now.Maybe I have Alzheimer's.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous12:05:00 AM

    Octo-mom had 7 babies with her,the wee one was still in the hosiptal.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Okay Sweetie let's call it a night.What time do your kids get up?Six?
    Those bags under your eyes belong to me.

    Love you a lot,see you tomorrow.Sleep well, Luv.. J

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous12:08:00 AM

    Nope, thats what you got me for,to remember names.
    I wonder what brit is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous12:11:00 AM

    O.K. I will say goodnite and sweet dreams...LUV...PIC...NEE

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs