Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"Rags To Riches"

TV shrink Dr.Phil Mcgraw is a multimillionaire now,but as a youth he was homeless and so poor he lived in a car.The toughest time in his life came when his boozer dad ,Joe quit selling oil drill bits and went back to the University of Oklahoma to earn a Ph.D in psychology.
Dr. Phil ,his parents and two sisters lived with his older sister in a cramped 1,100-square- foot house in Oklahoma City and earned food money with pre-dawn newspaper-delivery routes. He did that one with his dad every morning at 4:30/5:00am and every afternoon, he had a paper route that required him to throw the papers off his bike.
Dr. Phil says it wasn't his allowance,it was food money,"if you didn't come home with the money you didn't eat,even at 12,I understood if you don't work you don't eat. "
After his dad Joe graduated, he had to intern before he could hang up his shingle, so he left his wife and daughters and took 13-year-old Phil with him to Kansas City. Dr.Phil recalls his dad saying my son needs to be with his dad."So off they went" Dr.Phil says he was homeless,living in a car with his dad.We eventually got a room at the downtown YMCA for five bucks a week,and then we put together some money for a deposit on a one bedroom apartment that had no running water,electricity,heat or air conditioning.
While it sounds bad,Dr.Phil now says he "cherishes " that time."That was my time to deal with stress and adversity-lessons I'd never have learned any other way at that age.
I learned what it meant to work hard to stay focused and to set goals.The hard times also bonded me with my father, who died at age 69 after a lifelong battle with alcohol.I was never closer to my dad than doing those lean times,we relied on each other ,we were fox-hole buddies."My take on it: you make your life what you want it to be, it's all up to you.But hey,that's just me...
news:Human%20insterest%20story@globe.com

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:47:00 PM

    Hello Nee

    my mom is unable to come online tonight. her internet is down due to construction outside her house. the problem won't be fixed until thursday.
    she's sorry she let you down.
    thanks, jaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:51:00 PM

    i'm so very sorry nee. i'll get back to you as soon as i can.
    i have some articles ready and i'll put them on later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:11:00 PM

    nee if you to leave any messages to me, leave them in comments and j will pick them up for me.
    luv -- jeannsie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:28:00 PM

    Hello Jaye,
    I am so very please to meet you.
    I look forward to meeting you next you and all the family.

    Tell Jeannie she haven't let me down,things happen,I am glad it's just construction.
    Thanks again for keeping me in the loop. NEE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:50:00 PM

    Hello PIC
    Don't worry about anything,you haven't let me down,things happen that we have no control over.
    See I am getting to be a big girl,thanks to you and Sis.
    Jeannie don't worry about trying to post,just enjoy this time with the "Rock".
    I can think about stuff to make you laugh.(GIGGLES)

    Gil brought a sand-box today and told the kids not to Pee in the box,because it's not healthy and will make them sick,his little angel asked what about Gilly,he said Gilly is a baby and he has his diaper on..
    Lo and behold I go out ,jill and Sharon have taken his diaper off and he is having a ball,sand every where on him..I got the water-hose and hose him down,he loves it ,the little boy is crazy just like his daddy.
    I finished talking with you last nigt ,the party was just getting into second gear..I went to bed,got up this morning,bodies was everywhere,I told Sis I was not cooking for those fools,nan and I got the 3 kids and carried them to Mickey D's...it is great Sis has three sofas and a lot of floor space.
    Well PIC we made 34,000 and climbing.Pretty good huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:00:00 PM

    How is Nana and Brian? I hope they both are feeling O.K.
    What are my twins doing? Did you take them to karate today?
    I know you are beside yourself.
    Sweetie this is a good time to let your hair down and get a good movie/book and just enjoy your along time with the "ROCK".
    Maybe the construction happen so you could have some down time to relaxed.
    I know you have a movie on hand you would like to see again.
    If you want a laugh just think about me busting in Gil's office with a bright idea,(GIGGLES).
    So goodnite my friend ,we will talk soon. Luv...PIC...NEE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:02:00 PM

    Jaye you have a wonderful Mom,I know you hold her dear to your heart...Thank you for sharing her with me....NEE

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting story about Phil.You have to admire a lot of what he did with his life.Unfortunately,when they get rich and famous they all become jerks.That seems to be the formula.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs