Saturday, June 14, 2014

Hillary Clinton Has Awkward Exchange Over Her Position On Gay Marriage

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton engaged in an awkward exchange with NPR's Terry Gross on Thursday when the radio host pushed her on her evolving stance on gay marriage.

When Clinton ran for the Democratic nomination for president in 2008, she, like then-candidate Barack Obama, opposed gay marriage. Since then, both Clinton and Obama have both publicly switched their stance on the issue. Gross attempted to clarify whether Clinton's initial opposition was a "political calculation."

During their conversation, Clinton responded vaguely to Gross' attempts to clarify whether the likely 2016 candidate's position on gay marriage changed at any point, making general points like "just because you’re a politician doesn’t mean you’re not a thinking human being," and "I think I’m an American, I think that we have all evolved."

Gross continued to reframe her question, asking whether Clinton, at any point, changed her mind about gay marriage, or whether she supported it personally all along.
"You know, I really I have to say, I think you being very persistent, but you are playing with my words," Clinton said several minutes into the conversation. "And playing with what is such an important issue."


"I’m just trying to clarify so I can understand," Gross said, but was then interrupted by Clinton.

"No, I don’t think you are trying to clarify. I think you are trying to say that I used to be opposed [to gay marriage], and now I am in favor, and I did it for political reasons. And that’s just flat wrong. So let me just state what I feel like you are implying and repudiate it. I have a strong record. I have a great commitment to this issue and I am proud of what I’ve done and the progress we're making," Clinton said.
 
Listen to the exchange here . 
Our in-house expert Mr. Humble

Hillary slapped her down. Hillary can handle herself and when she becomes president she will do this country proud! Go Hillary!

I'm not that concerned with when or how Clinton got to where she is on marriage. She's a straight person, most of them are completely oblivious to the issues of the LGBT community. And she would have never got to this point as a politician without hedging her bets. I do know what her opponents feel about the issue and other progressive causes; therefore, I'll be supporting Clinton when she announces that she will run for president.

Just my humble opinion

4 comments:

  1. Hillary was definitely hedging her bets. It's part of the politicking process. If she chooses not to be pinned down on an issue...that is her privilege. Before she got into politics she probably never gave it a thought and may still be neither for or against, on the issue.
    Her campaign platform is probably based on more substantive and pressing matters.
    I think the journalist was out of line and had her own agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey PIC,
    Thank you for the post. It was a good one and I appreciate our 'In House Expert's' input.
    Thanks guys
    Luv you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy PIC ,
    I thought it would be better here than SHs ... politics ... I get a lot of them .

    Luv you

    ReplyDelete
  4. The journalist was definitely out of line .
    Lots of people have changed their minds about gays ... people have become more tolerated about those issues .
    Luv

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs