Saturday, May 30, 2009

Yum! Fermented Cabbage

South Korea's spicy fermented cabbage dish, kimchi,helps to cure bird flu, according to researchers.

Scientists at Seoul National University say they fed an extract of kimchi to 13 infected chickens and a week later 11 of them were recovering. The researchers said the results were far from scientifically proven. It is unclear why the extract has the effects they observed.

Love it or loathe it, once you have eaten it, you will never forget it. Kimchi is made of fermenting cabbage, with red peppers, radishes and a lot of garlic and ginger. It may sound a little dubious but the theory is being put forward by some of Korea's most eminent scientists.

" We have found that the chickens recovered from bird flu, Newcastle disease (?)and bronchitis. The birds death rate fell considerably and they were re-energized."

There was an increase in kimchi consumption two years ago when thousands of people contracted SARS(severe acute respiratory syndrome). Kimchi was reported to have helped prevent SARS. The claim was never scientifically proven but Koreans swear by it and claim people in other countries are coming on board the kimchi train, following their example and chowing down on Kimchi.

One Korean man said he visited China and noticed all the Korean restaurants kept selling out of Kimchi. So, one of Korea's specialities may soon find a much bigger market. Is it a real and effective remedy? I guess we'll soon find out. Until then, I'm getting a Korean cook book and making my own. My family may gag a little at first, they are fussy eaters, but I'll tell them, "eat up. It's for your own good." Seconds anyone?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:47:00 PM

    I love trying new recipes,love cabbage ,fix it in all different ways.love spicey foods,you know I love cajun and hot foods,so I will be willing to try it,I use plenty of garlic,it good for the system,hot peppers,onions are all good.
    I tell you what if you find the cookbook we will try the recipe,if we don't lke it,we will just hope a bus/train/plane and go kick those little fuckers asses.(GIGGLES)....NEE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:06:00 PM

    Now you know I am not going to be good,my babies are in bed,these fools is partying,if Gil get a hard on he will have to get some zonked out choochie.(GIGGLES) Boy I bet that would be a sight to see.hahaha I can't get zonked,have to keep a level head to see about my babies. See you later "Partner"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually think that, personally,I would like kimchi.I like strong flavors and hot spicy food.
    I like sauerkraut so I can handle kimchi.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs