Monday, July 18, 2016

Man unable to speak ... Traumatized by loss of family

A family photo of Sean Copeland, left, and his son Brodie, centre, who were among the victims killed in the terror attack in Nice

Nice attack: Survivor loses six family members as France mourns for victims

People pay tribute to the victims at the site of a deadly truck attack on the famed Promenade des Anglais in Nice, southern France, Saturday, July 16, 2016. French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve says that the truck driver who killed 84 people when he careened into a crowd at a fireworks show was "radicalized very quickly." (AP Photo/Francois Mori)

A man who lost six members of his family in the Nice terror attacks has been left so traumatized he is unable to speak. Christophe Lyon's wife, his adult son, his parents and parents-in-law were all killed on 14 July, when Tunisian-born Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel drove a 19-ton truck into crowds of revelers celebrating Bastille Day in the southern French city.
Mr Lyon, from Longwy, north-eastern France, had travelled to Nice with his wife Veronique, 55, son Michael Pellegrini, 28, and in-laws Francois Locatelli, 82, and Christiane Locatelli, 78 for an eagerly anticipated holiday on the Riviera. His parents Gisele Lyon, 63, and Germain Lyon, 68, also joined the family gathering.
Michael, Christophe's son from a previous relationship, taught economics at a local sixth-form college. A colleague of Michael said he was "overjoyed" to be attending the Bastille Day fireworks display.
Mr Lyon's elderly parents and in-laws were enjoying their retired life and had been looking forward to a family holiday. Germain and Gisele, who were recently retired had taken an extended trip to the Côte d'Azur, spending several days in Marseille before joining their family in Nice Mirro Online reports.
All six died as they were struck by the truck which was driven at high speed for over 100 meters, 'zig-zagging' between the crowd to maximize injury. The truck was "riddled with bullets" as the driver was "neutralized" by police.
At least 84 people were killed in the massacre, among them 10 children, with another 202 were injured – 52 of them seriously. Fifty children were said to have been taken to hospital with some of their relatives still not found.
Islamic State (Isis) claimed responsibility for the truck attack, as French police arrested five people in connection with the massacre.
France has begun three days of mourning as the investigation into the attack that devastated countless lives continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs