Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Forbes LIst of Top Earning Dead Celebs

The money might be drying up in Hollywood, but there's still plenty of cash to be made in the graveyard. The 13 iconic figures on Forbes' list of the Top-Earning Dead Celebrities grossed a collective $886.5 million in the past 12 months.

Topping the list for the first time is Yves Saint Laurent, who earned $350 million care of a much-heralded estate sale. In February, auction house Christie's sold many of the French fashion icon's possessions, including expensive art, antiques and furniture, garnering $443 million in proceeds over the course of three days. After commissions, the cash was split between the Pierre Bergé-Yves Saint Laurent Foundation and a soon-to-be-created philanthropic group aimed for scientific research and the fight against AIDS. YSL died of brain cancer in June 2008.

Debuting on the list in third place is musician Michael Jackson. In the four months since his untimely death, the King of Pop's estate has brought in $90 million. Though his afterlife earnings didn't land him atop the list, as many had anticipated, few celebrity deaths have garnered more media attention. Since his June passing, Jackson's estate has sold an estimated 9 million albums worldwide plus more than 5.5 million digital downloads.Sony shelled out $60 million for the rights to produce 'This is It', the highly anticipated movie featuring rehearsal footage of what was to be a 50-date concert engagement at London's O2 arena.
The $60 million advance will be split between Jackson's estate and concert promoter AEG. The estate, AEG and Sony will divvy up any profits from the movie. Merchandise created for the tour has been selling briskly online.

At No. 2, between Saint Laurent and Jackson, are Broadway legends Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein. The songwriting duo, who wrote the music and lyrics to widely successful shows like Oklahoma, South Pacific, The King and I and The Sound of Music, made the bulk of their $235 million in combined earnings from the sale of The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization and the rights to music they wrote together. Royalties from other works further fattened their wallets over the course of the year.

To place on this year's list, a deceased celebrity—or "deleb," as industry insiders have dubbed them—needed to rake in at least $6 million between Oct. 1, 2008 and Oct. 1, 2009.

Behind Jackson is longtime list-topper Elvis Presley. The King of Rock 'n' Roll earned $55 million during the year-long span. That's more than some of the music industry's biggest living acts command—Bon Jovi brought in $50 million for the 12 months ending in June; Britney Spears grossed $35 million during the same period.
Unlike Jackson, Presley doesn't count music royalties among his revenue streams; his manager famously sold the rights to the King's pre-1973 recordings to RCA (now part of Sony) for $5 million. The handlers of his estate have found other means of expanding the fortune, from merchandising to admissions to Graceland.Expect the estate's income to expand next year as Graceland celebrates Elvis' 75th birthday with new exhibits and a massive birthday celebration.

Rounding out the top five is author J.R.R. Tolkien, whose estate banked $50 million in the past 12 months. While he still sees book royalties from his vast collection, the majority of his earnings this year came from settling a long-standing suit with New Line Cinema over profit participation on The Lord of the Rings trilogy.How can dead celebrities continue to earn millions every year? The short answer is merchandising and licensing deals struck in exchange for their name and likeness, along with sales of their recorded music, books or films.

Falling off this year's list are several Dead Celebrities mainstays, including Marilyn Monroe, James Dean and Steve McQueen. Despite inking new deals over the past year, these icons couldn't keep up with their peers. Jackson, on the other hand, will likely make tens of millions of dollars every year from sales of his merchandise and memorabilia as well as royalties from his stake in the Sony ATV catalog of songs, which includes music by a range of artists like the Beatles, Bob Dylan and Taylor Swift.

Industry brokers say it's only a matter of time before Jackson also makes posthumous appearances in new advertisements. Technology has made feasible the practice of putting late stars in new commercials. In recent years, Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn have appeared in ads for MasterCard and The Gap, respectively. In addition to name recognition and broad appeal, deceased celebrities offer the marketing community something living entertainers do not: peace of mind.
"Albert Einstein isn't going to get busted for drunk driving and Steve McQueen is not going to have an affair and be in the tabloids,” says David Reeder, vice president of Corbis' GreenLight, which represents Einstein, McQueen and many others. "Anything that's happened is behind them, making them a safe harbor for advertisers."

Along with these safe and very quiet clients come limitations: regardless of what technological changes have occurred, you're still dealing with personalities who are deceased. They can't make personal appearances, make new movies, new records or write new books. Unless their representatives can contact them in the afterlife, they have to keep re-issuing their old material.

75 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:14:00 PM

    Well it's true what they say, you are worth more dead than alive...
    wonder will Michael jackson make the list next. He should , he was on the "LARRY KING" show. Hahaha
    ......HI....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think that was his ghost??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:20:00 PM

    I missed it, Michael is on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael is third on the Forbes List,He has made $90 million since his death four months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:22:00 PM

    Shucks no..Anything for some PR...it's almost holloween and old Larry has first dibbs on MJ's ghost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think he would haunt Neverland.He hated it and wouldn't live there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:25:00 PM

    I always read them twice in case I miss something, my second note , I seen it. I guess I was reading to fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:26:00 PM

    Wonder how much his kids will get?
    Theyare going to be on the reality show also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. IT's hard to believe Steve McQueen is still making so much money, He wasn't as iconic like James Dean and Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:28:00 PM

    I don't think he will hauntNL, MJ is glad to be rid of his family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It goes to his estate which is controlled by his mother.Who knows who controls her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:32:00 PM

    All the money S. McQ made from the salad dressing he donated it to chariies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:36:00 PM

    The boys was on her for money before the estate was settled, I don't think it's settled yet, I asked and was told it will take awhile to get all the wrinkles ironed out, to many cooks is stirring in the pot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I was a little kid Steve Mc Queen was on the cover of a magazine.I loved him so much I kept the magazine for years.He was my fantasy man from the time I was eight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:38:00 PM

    Daddy's little angel is a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was Paul Newman with the salad dressing.I'm the one who's bad with names.You're supposed to remember them all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:40:00 PM

    Now he had some beautiful blue eyes, and they wasn't beady. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Didn't Daddy's little angel scare you??

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous9:43:00 PM

    I had to set up for a meeting on my bears and stopped in the office and the ladies asked me what happen , did I get my mouth washed out with soap. I told them I was taking a break. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Steve and Paul Newman both had beautiful blue eyes.Paul Newman never did a thing for me but Steve knew how to float my boat.
    I would definitely have offered him my body if he had shown the least interest.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous9:46:00 PM

    Yes but in a sweet was.
    aww shit That was Paul, I remember DC and it ain't Caruso. Guess who.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I almost met Steve.I just missed him by a few days.He used to come up here and race at one of the tracks in this area.He stayed with a casual friend of mine and her husband who built race cars.She told me later she would have invited me over if she had known I still had a crush on him.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous9:50:00 PM

    A lot of Garrido's commenter's was as crazy as he was. He stopped molesting Jaycee because his dangle stopped getting hard.
    He should have asked his box for help n making it hard.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fucking bitch just wanted him for herself. She knew she didn't have a chance if I was there...HA!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous9:53:00 PM

    That would have been a thrill of a lifetime to meet one of your idols.
    If he had asked you for some c... you would have run as if the devil was on your heels.hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes, some of his commenters were fruit cakes.Some of them were so angry at him, they didn't have the words to express it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous9:56:00 PM

    Hell she was married.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous9:58:00 PM

    I don't think anyone can find the words to express it , now I am at a lost for words.Can you believe that?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was single at the time Steve was here.A horny young twenty-five year old.He still looked pretty good.
    But you may be right.I might have chickened out from the stress.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous10:03:00 PM

    Found Sharon , you have to have an account to log in since she went private.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous10:06:00 PM

    You was just in love with love, you would have enjoyed flirting with him. You got what you was looking for...a long and loving relationship. Great going you got it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous10:07:00 PM

    didn't he marry Ali McGraw or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Do you think we could get into her blog if she knows who we are?She may have heard of us.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You will never run out of words.

    Brian had a biopsy today.We will know in 10 days.

    ReplyDelete
  35. See, you have a good memory.he was married to Ali for a few years.I don't know who he married after that.He was one of those who traded the old ones in for younger models periodically.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Brian doesn't mind that I have a couple of laugh lines and I don't swing on the chandeliers any more,not quite so much energy.
    He still looks though.I catch him all the time.He flirted with his nurse today.She was very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous10:21:00 PM

    Brian will be fine, shit he beat worse than this. Brian is not finish here yet.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous10:24:00 PM

    Nothing to worry about sweetie, Brian has nothing to hide, you was there. He may flirt with a pretty woman ...but he's taking the beautiful lady home with him.
    Her hame is Jeannie.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous10:28:00 PM

    Sharon may be glad to have us, if what dojo says is true, she want's all she can get.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Brian has a lot to say about everything.He's still the busiest man I know.His family lives to their nineties.Who knows what may happen to him.I don't count him out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous10:32:00 PM

    I was thinking about what you said;Celebs Revealed or something like that,posting about the god and bad and getting something once in awhile from DCR. I am going to get the hang of this shit so we can run D. crazy. I'm going to always have my CC ...do you think Sassy will go with it?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for the compliment.

    He's still a horny old goat.Whatever else goes wrong with him ,that thing always works.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous10:36:00 PM

    Research has come a long way in certain types of cancer.
    My daddy said hard work is good for the soul...honey child Brian is not going to leave you,he still like peeking and getting the c.....

    ReplyDelete
  44. Sassy Cupcake is cute and don't forget you can have more than one cyber name.You can be CC here and Sassy somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Work keeps Brian going.He wants to feel useful and productive.That's who he is.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous10:40:00 PM

    {giggles] Girl you are a hoot.
    Ain't it's nice to know it's just for you...look at your man with the boner and smile knowing you did that.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous10:42:00 PM

    I bet this is the best stuff our men ever had, we rocks their world.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Anonymous10:46:00 PM

    My daddy said the same thing about working, he said idle hands was the devil's domain/playground.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I watched the whole tour of Neverland conducted by Miko Brando (Marlon's kid)who was a friend of Michael and I believe worked for him.It was a wonderful house and grounds.MJ didn't build it.It was quite old.It was stripped completely bare.It was eerie.I may put the tour video on the blog.Do you think anyone would be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Anonymous10:53:00 PM

    You have to have a different e-mail address for each site, I have an hotmail account.There are a lot of address out there.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous10:56:00 PM

    Yes they would be interested.
    In labels put MJ's name there, and the search engines will send viewers to us,

    ReplyDelete
  52. Start another site if you think you can handle it.I'll be glad to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Anonymous11:01:00 PM

    Everyone is in a slump. I went to Keyser's today and his stats is not as high as our's and he carried the ones he had on blogger with him. DCR keeps getting viewers because people be looking for DC. If you look back You will see Heidi only put icon of idiocy DC on her post.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anonymous11:04:00 PM

    Tobe truthful, I think it's fun to just post what we like. I like space/bears and the big rat,all human interest stuff.
    Ask your friend what she likes, I asked these all time.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Our subjects are pretty varied and far ranging so we can't always have the same labels on them

    ReplyDelete
  56. Anonymous11:09:00 PM

    Thanks, I might be like Lacey,haha you know I will need help, just thinking.
    What the hell will I talk about?

    ReplyDelete
  57. Anonymous11:12:00 PM

    Thats the fun of it, we have more than one thing to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  58. We could trash celebrities.I mean be really bitchy.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Anonymous11:14:00 PM

    I like the way this blog go, it's never a dull moment, a little bit for everyone. We don't have to made mean posts about other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  60. We could be bitchy about everything.The government, the economy, other countries.We could critisize people for not going green not caring about saving the planet.Critisize rich people for not helping poor people.Just bitch at everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Anonymous11:20:00 PM

    That sounds great about bashing all celebs , that I'm good at. I likes the posts you put here, I have a lot to learn, but hell lets go for it after I get my W's 7.
    I will show those B***hes at Gil's office I can still talk naughty.hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  62. Anonymous11:23:00 PM

    Will you do the Banner and sidebar?
    Heidi had 4 and a Zimbo she posted on 3 everyday. She had one on myspace name Ugly creatures and her cyber name was Cole.

    ReplyDelete
  63. AS long as we have lindsay Lohan And Brangelina there won't be a slow news day.

    ReplyDelete
  64. IT's easy to come up with something to write about.Anything that pops into your head.Say for example you noticed you had a mole on your arm.You would just Google 'moles' and see what came up.Often it's fascinating information.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Anonymous11:27:00 PM

    I found some old Star/NE mags from a couple of years back.I had subscriptions to them and was always on the move,I just packed them back.
    I may find something in there about DC.

    ReplyDelete
  66. lately I find I'm looking up food all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Anonymous11:32:00 PM

    You got it girl, I will wait util after monday to start, I will have windows 7, the Geek Squard will be here 9:am Monday.
    Can we have Maxy and the food gadget, all hell anything you want to put on there.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Anonymous11:34:00 PM

    You know this will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  69. We better put a couple of hours a day aside to do all this work.Heidi was on her compouter 16 hours a day.I never understood that.I don't have that many hours.

    ReplyDelete
  70. At least celeb news is easy to find and we can put our own spin on it.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Anonymous11:40:00 PM

    See that's what I mean, whatever hits our fancy,people will always eat...We are not a one trick pony.
    Roll over some names in your head, please don't leave it to me, I will name it "Choochie Pussy Baby".
    hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  72. Well Toots I have to turn in.It was a stressful day.So I'll say goodnight.I hope your weather is dry and sunny tomorrow...take care ...J

    ReplyDelete
  73. Post Script..What about SASSY??
    Or SASSY BRITCHES-...SASSY PANTS.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Anonymous11:44:00 PM

    A couple of hours sounds great, I would be bored out of my noggin if I stayed longer.
    We can't spend that much time, we have a family/home to take care of.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Anonymous11:47:00 PM

    Get some rest and I like all the Sassy's I will let you pick.
    Snuggle up real tight..
    Goodnite....CC

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs