Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Polar Bears Still Struggling...Awareness Growing

 

 
Effects of Global Warming on Polar Bears:

Global warming is melting the polar ice caps, robbing polar bears of the ice floes they need to hunt prey. As the annual sea ice melts, polar bears are forced ashore to spend their summers fasting. If the Arctic ice cap continues to melt sooner and form later, polar bears will become too thin to reproduce and they will become extinct by the end of this century.
The polar bear's home – the Arctic – is experiencing the effects of global warming more than any other place. Temperatures in the Arctic are rising at almost twice the rate of that of the rest of the world, and this is threatening to place the entire Arctic ecosystem in jeopardy.
Sea ice is shrinking by what appears to be a greater rate every year – sea ice that not only provides hunting ground for polar bears, but shelter and transportation for seals, walrus, arctic foxes, and the Inuit people. The underside provides a surface for algae that support cod, char, beluga, and narwhal. The white sea ice also has a cooling effect on climate by reflecting light away from Earth's surface. As it melts, the global warming advances even more quickly.

Facts on Polar Bears:
- Size: - Males are typically between 2 and 3 m long and weigh up to 500 kg, though a few weigh as much as 800 kg. Females weigh between 150 to 250 kg.
- Population: 22,000 to 27,000
- Life Span: 20 to 25 years
- Range: Most polar bears live in Canada, but other populations exist in Alaska, Russia, Greenland and Norway.

Sign the Petition to Save the Polar Bears.....At... http://www.naturecanada.ca/advocate/polar_bears.html?gclid=CPen16SstqUCFY64Kgod9zrIYg

Our Mission: Nature Canada protects nature, its diversity and the processes that sustain it. We base our efforts on sound science and a passion for nature. With the support of 40,000 members and friends we effect change on issues of national significance, including bird conservation, wilderness protection, endangered species and climate change.
Polar Bears Found Swimming Miles From Alaskan Coast
ScienceDaily — An aerial survey by government scientists in Alaska’s Chukchi Sea  in 2008  found at least nine polar bears swimming in open water – with one at least 60 miles from shore – raising concern among wildlife experts about their survival.

Geoff York, the polar bear coordinator for WWF's  ( World Wildlife Federation)  Arctic Programme, said that when polar bears swim so far from land, they could have difficulty making it safely to shore and are at risk of drowning, particularly if a storm arises.
“To find so many polar bears at sea at one time is extremely worrisome because it is an indication that as the sea ice on which they live and hunt continues to melt, many more bears may be out there facing similar risk,” he said. “As climate change continues to dramatically disrupt the Arctic, polar bears and their cubs are being forced to swim longer distances to find food and habitat.”
Scientists say the Arctic is changing more rapidly and acutely than anywhere on the planet, noting that 2007 witnessed the lowest sea ice coverage in recorded history.
Satellite images indicate that ice was absent in most of the region where the bears were found on August 16, 2008.
The discovery of the nine bears at sea came as the US Minerals Management Service was conducting marine surveys in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas in advance of potential offshore oil development.
In May of 2008, the US Department of Interior listed polar bears as threatened under the Endangered Species Act, with Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne citing the strong body of science pointing to the significant loss of Arctic sea ice habitat as the primary reason for protecting the bear with federal legislation.

However, the state of Alaska  opposed the listing and  sued the federal government over its decision to list the bear.
Professor Richard Steiner of the University of Alaska’s Marine Advisory Program said: “While these bears are swimming around in an ice-free coastal Arctic Ocean, the only thing the State of Alaska is doing is suing the federal government trying to overturn the listing of polar bears.
“The bottom line here is that polar bears need sea ice, sea ice is decaying, and the bears are in very serious trouble. For any people who are still non-believers in global warming and the impacts it is having in the Arctic, this should answer their doubts once and for all.”

60 comments:

  1. Hi Sweetie. how's it going????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did the cookies turn out??
    I bet your kitchen was a mess...HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:05:00 PM

    Hi Cutie...great article and so true about Global Warning.
    People should see Global Warming is here just as plain as the nose on their faces.
    There are still some with their heads stuck up their asses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:07:00 PM

    My kitchen...babies all was in a mess, they helped clean up and I had fun.
    Dad had my little man begging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just heard from Dad that the polar bear meeting went quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:10:00 PM

    We had a short meeting today and I made copies of the post and passed them out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet the kids had fun. They usually like to do the decorating.
    Did you feel the spirit of Christmas start to tingle??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:14:00 PM

    You heard from Dad, that's great , he said he like helping but you/I know he go to flirt with the ladies....Rhonda called and wished him a happy turkey day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dad said they were still struggling with the name. Maybe you should narrow it down to three or four and take a ballot vote.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They just announced on the news that el Ninja is affecting our weather and we will have an extra cold and stormy winter. If today was any indication ,I believe it. It was like a freezer outside and the wind blew me over. What extremes we're having.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:21:00 PM

    I told them we will start with the decorations Friday.
    I made the cookies... my babies cut them out and Elosie let them decorate them.
    I waas telling Dad about the twins and Karate and Jakey plays Chess quite well and miss smarty pants piped and told dad she was going to marry Jakey and Dad started laughing and said he had to tell you what his Jill said..I asked him what she said and he said I didn't want to know...now he know why Gil walks round with thata stupid grin on his face.

    ReplyDelete
  12. North Korea just started bombing South Korea which means all the countries of the world will have to choose sides. NK has nuclear weapons and a crazy man as a leader. He could cause the end of the planet. At least we won't have to worry about global warming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:23:00 PM

    I know you have a lot of snow...is it always stormy .. it was like a spring day , no breeze at all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I better go back and read dad's letter again. I would like to know why Gil has a stupid grin on his face.

    It looks like Sarah Palin is picking up strenth as she rolls along with her books garnering a lot of publicity and her TV show. I hope people don't fall for all the public relations (PR). They should look at her record and her opinions and values and intentions instead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:29:00 PM

    I just heard about the bombing, they woke Obama up to brief him,I bet we are going to war.
    They say North Korea wants a war..the father just pasted the reins to his idiot son .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:32:00 PM

    I seen in a comment that a viewer made about Palin and her tea party was making sure Bristol wins DWTS, and that's the way she will steal the White House.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10:36:00 PM

    I just asked Dad what Jill said,Jill said she was going to married Jakey and Sha told her Jakey may not want to marry her Jill told Sha she would just sit on him and talk him crazy like mama do daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous10:40:00 PM

    NAN said James was watching to see why so much talk. NAN said he called her and told her to come quick the stupid woman and her daughter was beating a fish to death with a stick.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We had a very mild and pleasant autmn and then suddenly it changed today to 5 degrees below freezing and very fierce winds and apparently that is how it is going to be from now till the end of winter, with lots of snowstorms. And the temp. will be even lower than usual.
    We usually have a lot of snow and also a lot of nice days. It is normally cold but we only had one blizzard last year which dropped over two feet of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well thank goodness Palin's daughter didn't win DWTS but she was kept in the competition a lot longer than her talent merited.

    So you sit on Gil to get his attention and then drive him crazy with nagging?? If it works for you maybe I will try it.

    Just to get it straight, when you sit on him, are you sitting on anything in particular???

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did you see the comment you got under your dream catcher??

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous10:50:00 PM

    When I want to get my point across I sit anywhere I can..
    It's hard now to sneak off,if I we do, here they come...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous10:52:00 PM

    Yes I thanked her...her Name is Swam and I forgot what tribe she's frorm.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous10:54:00 PM

    The guy on Ugly Betty, Brea allegedly killed him mama with a sword.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You two better start making date nights at the hotel. As they get bigger, they get nosier. You may end up having four kids two dogs and dad poking their heads in the door to see why you're yelling.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous10:56:00 PM

    I think she will be my height 5'9" and I told her would have to sit down to kiss him and she said, OHhhhh mama I would get Man's stool and stand him on it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous10:59:00 PM

    Have you been talking to Gil ??
    He said the same thing this evening , that's one of the reasons he wanted a live in housekeeper.
    Dad is nosey.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I read your article about Brea on SH and left you a comment.
    How tragic. He was a handsome young man with a bright future. His mom sounded like a nice woman.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous11:08:00 PM

    Have you ever watched Mike and Molly, they are funny ..I poste it because I imagine that's the way Dale looked.
    People are so cruel, a lot of people can't help if they are fat or skinny. It hads somethimg to do with the genes /glands.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I watched Jennifer Grey win DWTS tonight. She is a very graceful dancer and a lovely woman.Her dad was in the audience and he was so proud. He was in so many broadway shows and musicals.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous11:12:00 PM

    A lot of the comments were awful , some said they didn't know he was a spook (black) I thought he was cuban, people are so shallow.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I saw the Mike and Molly. I think Dale is a bit bigger than Mike and Barb is a little bitty thing but with a big heart just like me.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous11:15:00 PM

    Who won...please tell me it was Jennifer and not the one that can't dance.
    Bristol's legs is to large to pull it off in a contest .Her ass also.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Bristol has no grace or rythm. Jennifer is a wonderful dancer (remember her in Dirty Dancing with Patrick S?)She won of course but it was close.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous11:19:00 PM

    I hate when people make fun/talk about someone because they are different.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous11:22:00 PM

    Bristol can't dance as well as my little man, and he can't do nothing but run .

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous11:27:00 PM

    Yes I remember Jennifer that's one of the reasons I couldn't understand why Bristol still there.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Are you spending Christmas at home?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous11:35:00 PM

    I forgot to tell you...I got the post on my way out and run off a lot of copies and pass them out. I always keep a bunch of all the posts you do and put them on a table and let them pick them up.
    I told them they could bring flyers about what they are into but it will have to be in good taste. I told them I get mine from Nanook's helper in Canada.
    I also put the names of our blogs at the bottom...Anita's idea.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous11:38:00 PM

    That's a good idea ...you going and that way you will know what's going on.
    As long as Nana is telling everybody what's wrong , she is doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Good idea to put the names of the blogs at the bottom. Does anyone contribute information on climate change except you??

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous11:43:00 PM

    Dad said he's so glad he will began his treatments and things should began to go more smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous11:47:00 PM

    Yes , I will be spending Xmas at home , I think we all will have Xmas at the Barn , we have it there every year so all the siblings can be together if they want to.
    Everyone bring food and drinks, the only time we didn't was the Xmas I was on the lake and Sis was with me helping with Gilly.

    ReplyDelete
  44. In Drafts I have a post about what the average citizen can do about global warming.

    I will edit it and post it before your next meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous11:49:00 PM

    They contribute information , that's why I took the meeting over today.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Dad was surprised you took over the meeting today.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous11:57:00 PM

    I told them to get off their butts and talk to people and I know in this day and age everyone has a PC or go to the linrary for information it wasn't hard and they know what we are us against.they can make flyers and carry them to Office Deport and run off some and if they needed money to pay for them just bring the receipt and get reimburse, I told them if Nanook's in Canada can help I expect them to do more.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Anonymous12:06:00 AM

    Our next meeting the 3rd/17 December until next year of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  49. We don't just have blue boxes for recycling now, we also have green bins in which we have to put all our food scraps, pet poop, used kleenex and now they are asking us to put all our used toilet paper in the green bin too....Yuck.
    I draw the line there...but maybe when I get used to the yuckiness, I'll do it. It's an all or nothing situation.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I bet they were stunned stupid when they saw that mob show up.
    If that didn't scare Gil away, nothing will.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous12:11:00 AM

    I meant I told them if Nanook's helper in Canada was getting stuff for us , they better get of their butts.
    I told them I work my ass off and had people fussing at me at every turn because I wasn't getting enough rest .
    Dad jumped up and said don't forget about Nanooks friend she told me to tell SIs..Dad calls her Joanna.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Anonymous12:15:00 AM

    We have the blue bin for paper/cans Etc..we have the gray bin for garbage and all other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Anonymous12:24:00 AM

    The old bewitching hour is sneaking up on us again.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I go to a lot of climate change sites and also endangered species sites. I like to track the situation and learn anything new.

    I should draw up a list of them for your members. They should be more informed.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I was just about to say that we should call it an evening and sign off.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Sooooo, goodnight and sleep well.I will see you when the snow sparkles in the moonlight.

    Have a great day tomorrow.

    Luv and Hugs dear friend....PIC

    ReplyDelete
  57. Anonymous12:31:00 AM

    Would you draw them up for me. Thankyou so much I need the sites that way they will have no excuses .
    I told them this was not a place to come and hang out , we had work to do.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Anonymous12:34:00 AM

    Sweetie...I will say good night and you have pleasent dreams , one with the Rock doing his jiggle dance.
    Goodnite...HUGS & KISSES...PIC.
    Kiss the Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Anonymous12:37:00 AM

    PS:...Sweetie I meant exactly what I told them...
    They want to have a say , but they don't want to work..
    We have a lot to do to start our charter and like I told them they can go home and bullshit...

    NITE...SWEETIE

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs