Sunday, August 05, 2018

Spending a holiday in a very interesting place

 
 I am presently staying about a kilometer away from the charming village of St Mary's Ontario.
It has many beautiful old stone buildings from the last century. The stone was quarried locally and when the stone ran out, the quarries were filled with water and became a popular swimming and picnic spot. There are many pleasant places to choose from for a stroll or a day out with your camera. Parks alongside the river, bridges, carefully preserved and cared for, old mansions and pretty houses. The residents of St Mary's are very proud of their homes and their village.  It is surrounded by prosperous farms and close to a beautiful provincial park with a series of three connected lakes. The people here are kind of laid back and friendly and used to visitors.
 
It is also a popular spot for film makers to use as a backdrop and set for period movies or movies set in the country or a small town. At the moment, Stephen King's new movie, In the Tall Grass, is being shot  here and it's quite exciting.Image result for images of St Mary's ontario
City Hall 

Image result for images of St Mary's ontario
The Old Opera House.
 

In the Tall Grass

Part of the set being built for the movie is a falling down old church. It's just a façade : Photos taken by my daughter Jaye
 
Looks like a lonely desolate place
 
Now here is the real reason for shooting the movie here. This strange tall grass grows only in this area. It is not native to anywhere else. Perfect for a spooky plot to develop
 

 
Synopsis:
In the Tall Grass begins with a sister and brother who pull off to the side of the road after hearing a young boy crying for help from beyond the tall grass. Within minutes they are disoriented, in deeper than seems possible, and they’ve lost one another. The boy’s cries are more and more desperate. What follows is, of course, terrifying . Joe Hall, By the way, is Stephen  King's son.
Stephen has made many movies in our area, even the recent updated version of 'It', which is spine chilling.
 
We were also told a TV series was shooting in town. Since we have to do our shopping in St Mary's we were able to join in the fun and spied on the cast and crew from a handy bridge. The series is called Murdoch Mysteries.
  
Image result for images from Murdoch mysteries
In the 1890s, William Murdoch uses radical forensic techniques for the time, including fingerprinting and trace evidence, to solve some of the city's most gruesome murders.
 
See the source image
 
See the source image
TV Shooting holding up traffic on Main street of St Mary's 
See the source image
 
The beautiful old Victorian town is a perfect backdrop for the period series Murdoch Mysteries. The show is faithful to the fashions and styles of the Victorian period and that includes the architecture and store fronts of the buildings. It was fun to watch people who knew their craft work so efficiently. This episode centered around the old train station.
 
Train station in the 1800's
 
Image result for images of the old train station at St Marys ontario
Train Station today
 
So this is where I am spending my summer. The lake where we have our rv is very pretty and I am sad that I have missed some of my time here by being ill. But it's just a minor inconvenience that will not spoil the month of August. Happy summer.

~~~~~~~~~~
 
Note: 
Just to clarify something for friends and readers; a few years ago, this blog was  hacked  through the comments and the virus damaged the blog and took some time to clear out. At that time we decided not to publish and display any comments except for those from Witchy's and my computers.
The comments were sent, instead, to a section of our program where we could examine them and decide if they were harmful or not and whether we wanted to publish them. Unfortunately, my memory, being what it is at my age, I never remember to go there and check for comments. So, if I have insulted anyone by not answering your comment, it is only due to the fact that my brain cells are rapidly dying and I was unaware that you commented. Many apologies.
 I also feel that while I was ill I have missed something here but have no flippin idea what it is. However, I will keep plodding along, writing the truth as I know it and try to make it interesting. We have been at this for about ten years now and it is becoming more difficult for me due to increasing health issues. So please forgive sudden absences. My partner Witchy does a splendid job filling in the gaps and covering for me. Many kudos to her, and my eternal gratitude.
 
 Your friendly neighborhood Shadow

2 comments:

  1. I bet you enjoyed watching the transformation of the building to the period of time they look as if they was like that from the beginning .
    Tell Jaye she takes beautiful pictures , I am so glad you was feeling well enough to get out. Not only your health , remember you taken care of your mother / husband / daughter so sweetie I think you are doing great .
    you are right about the computers , my family / friends come over and comment on mine , Gil can't comment on his computer , different IP . I think our readers liked your writing and before we were hacked they liked out nightly soap opera about our families Hahaha!! They are still coming look at the numbers .
    I keep an eye on the unwanted comments (spam) we still get come but not as many , no names just anonymous , Not to worry dear friend , we will carry on by hook or crook but we will always keep it real .
    Thanks for the kudos but that what real friends are dor I love you girl .
    Witchy ... The jive talking BAW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will tell Jaye you like her pictures. I have been trying to get her to take more for me and to write a few articles. She is pretty stubborn but I think I am gaining ground on getting her to take photos.
    Believe it or not, none of the buildings were changed for filming. That is how they really look and have looked that way since the 1800's. That's the charm of the place. The church is the only building that was built by the film crew for Stephen King's movie and it is just a facade with no building behind it. When we passed the church today, they were moving in huge cameras and tons of old rusty cars which are part of the spooky church story. It's quite interesting. We are hoping to catch a glimpse of Stephen King and JK Rowling (Harry Potter author)since they are producing the movie together.
    I love you too Sweetie
    Shadow

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs