Friday, July 09, 2010

Ena Mallett : Granny With A Kick

Meet Ena Mallett, a 77-year-old British crossing guard. By day, she guides pupils of Fairhaven Primary School; by night (Thursdays mostly), she is an expert in martial arts and recently became the first lady to ever reach the seventh dan in Spirit Combat International jujitsu.
The award is so rare her new belt has to be made to order.
Spirit combat is a form of self-defense based on jujitsu and incorporates other fighting styles such as boxing, judo and karate. To gain the highly valued belt from Spirit Combat International, she had to spend a day tossing hapless foes over her shoulder and applying tap-out inducing holds.
Mrs. Mallet, a widow, has only had to put her martial arts skills into practice once. She was forced to grab a 14-year-old boy who had stolen some candy from a shop she used to work at.
When it was suggested she asked to be introduced before and jujitsu fight as Ena "Hammer Time" Mallett, the lovely lady said the name sounded fantastic and that she would consider it.
"Everyone keeps telling me I'm a celebrity, but I don't feel like it," Ena said. "When I started karate back in 1979, we had to train for six (6) hours without any water."
My spin: The British and English ladies is not to be taken for granted...they are some tough cookies, regardless of their age... My PIC says her Nana can cut you down to size with just a glance...I told her Nana was my kinda woman and I hope to be just like her....know something, I think I am...kinda.
Kicking back and faving fun and you know it's real.

Nana is 86 but I think she could take her....Jeannie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs