Wednesday, July 14, 2010

DiCaprio's Insane Shoot...Nolan's New Movie...Official Trailer

"You periodically felt like you were a part of something truly insane, but it was all in a day's work," Leonardo DiCaprio told me during a junket for the movie "Inception." Even if that day's work includes shooting on a mountain in the middle of a blizzard.
Based on an original script by director Christopher Nolan, "Inception" is a film that defies easy sound-bite descriptions. Its Russian nesting doll-like structure of a dream enclosed within a dream enclosed within another dream virtually demands multiple viewings. Think Philip K. Dick meets "The Italian Job."
Nolan's previous silver screen venture was a little movie called "The Dark Knight" -- the highest grossing non-James Cameron movie in American history. So for this go-around, the director's vast, ambitious vision seems to have been utterly unfettered by financial constraints. And it shows.


"Inception" was shot in Tokyo, Los Angeles, Morocco, London, Paris and the Canadian Rockies. It features shots of the French capital folding in on itself M.C. Escher-style, a zero-G fist fight, and a freight train blasting through the streets of downtown Los Angeles.
And in one sequence, Leo and the gang stage a raid on a snow-bound Alpine fortress -- the aforementioned shoot in the blizzard.
Leo describes an exchange he had with an assistant director during production. "When we started shooting one of the ADs said, 'Before you get to lunch we want to do some of the avalanche shots.' 'OK, how is that going to happen?' 'We're going to blow up a couple mountains and we're going to start a couple of avalanches and you're going to get in there and be a part of it and then we'll take you to lunch.' And this is kind of what you expect on a Chris Nolan set."
Co-star Ellen Page agreed. "It was definitely the most extreme environment I've ever filmed in."
And if you thought that cast worked hard, try the production crew. That fortress had to be constructed out of wood and plaster -- carried straight up the mountain -- without the use of normal construction equipment. It was so cold up there that paint froze on the brush.


For a summer movie season that has proved to be easily the lamest in recent memory, filled with tepid adaptations and tired '80s retreads, Christopher Nolan's brand of cinematic insanity might just be what the doctor ordered. "Inception" opens this weekend. Watch official Trailer.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:15:00 PM

    Hello my dear sweet recipe lady, it's been awhile but I'm still hear reading your blog and very grateful for all the sweet goodies that you have provided my daughter with.
    Well as you can imagine I am the in house baby sitter and loving every minute of it.
    My granddaughters are very easy to control but my grandson the in house begger is hell on wheels just like my daughter, but we would have her no other way.
    I talk to her today and she wants me to tell you they may get in Monday evening no later than Tuesday morning depends on how long the lay over in Dallas are.
    The three of us is going to be as skinny as rails. I am tired of sandwiches, I want some greens and smoke bacon (fat back) as my daughter calls it.

    She told me to leave you a message on both your sites and left exact instructions how to get there so I guess I will go there now.
    I will tell you what my daughter wants me to do if I get there and dear lady I would love your opinion on the subject.
    Big G.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs