Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembering - Around the World

A photograph of a firefighter floats along with flowers in the reflecting pool during the eighth anniversary remembrance of the 9/11 attacks on New York and Washington, in New York, September 11, 2009. Families of the victims are gathering at the annual ceremony to remember the attacks that killed more than 2,700 people with the destruction of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001

A Remembrance Day service in Sydney to commemorate the signing of the Armistice which formally ended World War I at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918.

Ethnic Hmong and Laotian veterans, who served the US Army in secret during the Vietnam War, participate in a wreath laying ceremony at the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, DC.

Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou (L) walks with a World War Two veteran in traditional dress after the ceremony for the annual anniversary of the liberation of Athens from Nazi occupation at the Acropolis hill in Athens October 12, 2009. Athens was liberated on October 12, 1944. Picture taken October 12, 2009

British troops join military personnel from various countries to attend a Remembrance Parade at Camp Bastion, in Helmand Province, Afghanistan November 8, 2009

Soldiers from the Army (L), Air Force (C), and Navy stand behind poppies during an event to mark Remembrance Day, also known as Poppy day, to commemorate the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians in times of war, in Colombo, November 8, 2009

War veteran flag bearers raise their flags after two minutes silence during a Remembrance Day memorial service at the War Memorial cenotaph in Floriana, on the outskirts of Valletta, November 8, 2009. Representatives of the Commonwealth observed two minutes silence on Remembrance Sunday to commemorate members of the armed forces who were killed during both World Wars. REUTERS/Darrin Zammit Lupi (MALTA)

Britain's Prince Harry prepares to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph during the annual Remembrance Sunday ceremony in Whitehall, in central London November 8, 2009

Britain's Prime Minister Gordon Brown (R) stands with former Prime Minister Tony Blair the leader of the opposition Conservative Party David Cameron (2L) and former Prime Minister John Major as they attend the annual Remembrance Sunday ceremony at the Cenotaph in Whitehall, in central London November 8, 2009.

U.S. President Barack Obama takes part in a wreath laying ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia to mark Veterans Day November 11, 2009
Former Philippine President Fidel Ramos talks to the U.S. ambassador to the Philippines Kristie Kenney as they visit the graves of unknown soldiers killed in World War II after a Veterans Day memorial ceremony at the American cemetery in Taguig, Metro Manila November 11, 2009. The American cemetery in Manila contains the remains of 16, 631 Americans killed who died in the Pacific, China, India and Burma during World War II.

War veterans carry standards by the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier during Polish Independence Day celebrations in Warsaw November 11, 2009.

Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd lays a wreath in observance of Remembrance Day during a service held at Camp Holland near Tarin Kowt November 11, 2009. Rudd was in Afghanistan to mark Remembrance Day with the Australian troops. Picture taken on November 11
Governor General Michaelle Jean, left, and Prince Charles lay wreaths during Remembrance Day services at the National War Memorial in Ottawa Canada.

President Barack Obama walks through grave markers during an unannounced visit to Section 60 at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va.,Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2009

46 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:57:00 PM

    Wonderful...wonderful post.
    All over the world people are remembering and giving honor to the fallen servicemen around the world.
    We all have lost or know someone who has lost a love one to this fruitless war. The one man war at Fort Hood,Texas was just so senseless, we are still trying to come to grips with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:00:00 PM

    I have a post about Oprah,but wanted to let people enjoy this one today.
    It's close to a lot of hearts. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou. That is very high praise.

    The service at Fort Hood seems to have moved you a great deal.
    There are forces on earth,sometimes good,sometimes evil, that we don't have the power to stop or even control.The murder of innocent people gives you that impotent,senseless feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was quite proud of my Berlin Wall feature.I think that single event marked the end of the Cold War which had been going on since WW II. And brought Communism to it's knees.
    Unfortunately the KGB gradually took control again and brought another toxic regime to Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to see the tatooed dangle fully erect and see that dragon expand and show it's fangs.
    I wouldn't want to be intimate with it though.He had an interesting tatoo around his anus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:14:00 PM

    you got that right, that thing might come alive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:17:00 PM

    You got a lot of praise about the Berlin Wall.
    The shooting at FH moved me quite a bit, I have a lot of family there,thankful, none was hurt. I also know some there , we have visit there often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the soldiers at Fort Hood get some councilling.That is one kind of killing they are not trained to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The new header is a work in progress.I'm a little overwhelmed with work at the moment but I am definitely working on it.I love designing stuff like that.We need a recipe for the blog.Do you have a good one.I loved your gumbo,lots of spice and flavor and very healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The great thing about the gumbo was that even though I have serious food allergies,I was able to change out certain ingredients and make substutions.It still tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:40:00 PM

    I like some of the ones you gave me.. your choice..I'm no good at designing stuff. Surprise me, I'm easy.....hahaha
    We both have a lot going on this weekend, how bout the first of the week, we can take our time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:42:00 PM

    Do you still want it to be name "BASH"?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:44:00 PM

    You can go with gumbo if you want to, fine with me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:46:00 PM

    I will have someone to help me dig up shit...Nan will be home this weekend and she won't go to work until after the first of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is no rush on the new blog.Like I said, I have projects up the yin yang.
    Anyway,how are you? Is the dry weather still holding?I sometimes look at your weather on our weather gadget and it always seems wet or about to get wet.Our weather is mild and sunny.Sometimes in November we have two feet of snow already.We have had a green Christmas before but not usually the warm temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jaye already has all her Christmas stuff out.She has more Christmas gizmos than anyone I ever met.I went there today and the flashing lights and sparkly stuff nearly blinded me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wonder what drove that man to torture his penis like that.What started it?He's probably addicted to it now and will continue down his legs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It will be nice to have Nan back.I bet you have missed her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How is the swine flu in your area? they are expecting a second and even a third wave. And it wil be a little worse each time. There have been over 4000 deaths from H1N1 in the USA.More than any other country in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excuse me for a few minutes I have to go check something.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous10:10:00 PM

    I bet Jaye has it really looking like Xmas..
    You are right, we do have the holidays coming.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous10:22:00 PM

    The weather gadget is on the ball, this weather is the pits.
    I have missed Nan, Everyone says we are joined at the hip..
    I was going to put mine up on the first of Dec.
    H1N1 is bad here,not as many deaths in my area, a lot of kids and grown-ups at the school where Jill/Sha go is sick. I taken them out.A retired teacher is coming as soon as she gets her checkup, that will be next week. A lot of people is not clean, they don't wash their hands or cover their mouths , just nasty .

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had to help my mother.Her hands are so arthritic she can't do certain things any more.

    It's probably a good idea to take the kids out.If the flu comes to the twins' school Jaye will do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous10:49:00 PM

    Nana's still in good spirits and do her own shopping, that's doing better than some 50/60 year old.
    I know Jaye worries about them, the doctors say we can do all we can , but it only takes one rotten apple to spoil the barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous10:53:00 PM

    The fast food post, boy I once enjoyed taking the kids to Mickey D's and a lot of fast food joints,now I cook all the fast food.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The fast food post scared the shit out of me too.I could eat frenchfries at every meal.
    I can't because I am now allergic to potatoes,although not too seriously.I can have them once in a while.
    But I've always loved fast food.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Al Gore is on Conan right now.He will probably talk about his Nobel Prize.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous11:03:00 PM

    The food gadget I plans my meals around it, I showed it to the ladies that work in Gil's office. they said they saw it but didn't know what it was, I showed them how to use it , a couple of the guys also.

    ReplyDelete
  29. He wrote a book about climate change which I have only read excerpts from.I should read the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous11:09:00 PM

    Oh Jeannie that is wonderful news, You have prayed for this so long and now it's whithin touch,good things are begining to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Al is discussing global warming.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous11:15:00 PM

    People said Gore didn't know what he was talking about.....now I wonder what they are saying, the climate is cahnging faster then was expected.
    Thelma's husband know some people in Gore's pilot office in Little Rock, Ark.( he's one of the lawyers that work with Gil) We are trying real hard to get one here.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jakey desrves a long healthy life.He is a wonderful little boy.He doesn't understand why he feels so ill and Sam is so healthy.
    The difference in their size is becoming quite apparent.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Al got the Nobel for trying to save the planet.He is largely responsible for the safe enegy bill which is now before the senate.They will build windmills in all your uninhabited areas.He will be hailed as a great man with foresight in a few years when everyone finally gets it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous11:23:00 PM

    Jakey is gettig at the stage where he wants to know the whys and ifs.
    This new drug might not make him grow as large, but he will be healthy. Tell him he don't have to be as big as Sammy, he is going to be a great person in the Movie business.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous11:28:00 PM

    I am trying to do for people what you did for me, I think Gil has Gore's book here or at his office.
    I didn't know our planet was in such bad shape until I met you.
    I told the people at the meeting ,we all needed to slow down and listen at what Mother Nature was trying to tell us.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I forgot to ask about your speech.I bet you wowed them.Did Gil help you?

    ReplyDelete
  38. This may be why we were supposed to meet.You may end up giving speeches all over the country.

    ReplyDelete
  39. There is a reason for everything.Never doubt it. The smallest thing happens for a reason.It sometimes does not reveal itself for a long time but eventually we figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous11:37:00 PM

    Just think next spring is not to far away. You said you was going to keep researching until you find something to help him.
    I am a great believer in the power of prayer...In my darkness hour I know my faith and prayer helped bring me through bad/hard times, and it will do the same for you and your "baby."

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous11:41:00 PM

    No I haven't given that speech yet, Gil is writing it for me, I'm gonna knock them dead.
    Well if I have to give speeches all over the county, you may have to take me there in your boat, looks like thats the only way we will be getting around soon.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous11:46:00 PM

    It will be the first Sunday in Dec.
    Emily/Daniel(preacher) wants me to give it at the church also.
    Did you see in the news where the steeple fell off the church on a car...well that's their church.

    ReplyDelete
  43. We found the article about the new drug on the internet and I was trying to get in touch with the doctors at the hospital where it was being tested.Brian and I had just decided to take J to Czechoslovakia when the docs at Sick KIds' said they had heard of it and were getting it tested in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I will look up the article about the steeple.I hope they build a stronger one next time.That could be dangerous to life and limb.

    ReplyDelete
  45. We had better say goodbye for now.We can't have you grumpy in the morning if the kids are all at home.
    And you must be rested and beautiful to make all those speeches all over the country.I'm proud of you for making this your personal crusade.I can't wait to hear how your speech went...
    Anyway...Goodnight...Happy dreams...PIC

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous12:09:00 AM

    That's the second time it fell, maybe somene is telling them something. hahaa
    I am glad you will be able to get the drug there. Hooray ...

    I will see you tomorrow, have a goodnite .....PIC...

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs