Friday, February 01, 2019

Trump: 'Good chance' he will declare emergency for wall money

Thomson Reuters    BY STEVE HOLLAND       Feb 1st 2019
WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump edged closer on Friday to defying the power of the U.S. Congress by declaring a national emergency in an attempt to obtain funding for a U.S.-Mexico border wall, a step that would likely draw a court challenge from Democrats.

Trump said at a White House event that he might declare such an emergency because it did not appear that Democrats in Congress were moving toward a deal that would provide the money he wants to help fund the wall, which Democrats broadly oppose.

"We're not getting anywhere with them," Trump said during an event at the White House, citing what he called "tremendous obstruction by Democrats," who call their differences with the president a basic disagreement over immigration policy.

"I think there's a good chance that we'll have to do that," Trump added, referring to the possibility of an emergency.

Under the U.S. Constitution, Congress holds the national purse strings and approves major expenditures of taxpayer funds.

Trump has discussed possibly declaring an emergency and redirecting funds already allocated by Congress for other purposes, possibly at the Defense Department, to his wall.

His latest comments came a day after Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic speaker of the House of Representatives, told reporters, "There's not going to be any wall money" in legislation to fund border security for the rest of this year.

Pelosi said she was open to negotiating funding for more ports of entry or additional border security technology. She added that the 17 House and Senate negotiators working on legislation to fund homeland security for the year should decide components of border security.

Democratic negotiators unveiled a detailed opening position containing no money for additional physical barriers on the border to control the flow of undocumented immigrants and illegal drugs. Previously they had supported $1.3 billion for new fencing and improvements to existing barriers.

Congress launched a super committee on border security this week, the latest stage of a long debate over one of Trump's biggest 2016 campaign promises, a concrete border wall he once said Mexico would pay for. The super committee has a Feb. 15 deadline to craft a deal on border security satisfactory to both political parties and to Trump, who agreed last week to end a historic 35-day partial government shutdown and allow Congress to try again to find a way forward.

Negotiations within the super committee began on Monday. Lawmakers have adjourned for the weekend. (Reporting by Steve Holland; writing by David Alexander; editing by Tim Ahmann)

Trump calls the U.S. presidency 'one of the great losers of all time,' because he says he's not making more money .

4 comments:

  1. If it doesn't qualify as a national emergency, then how can he declare one?? Surely there are laws governing this. It would be bad for him politically because he would look like an even greater fool than usual.
    Speaking of fools. Son number two looks dumb and dumber. I wonder if he knows what day it is.
    love Shadow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trump is trying to turn the attention away from himself ... Eric is really stupid looking and so is his son by Malanie to be honest , the hold bunch looks like morons.
    I got a hot one I'm posting today.
    I think I got it fixed for Harvey / kids can post .... The kids pester me while I was in the hospital I told them that if Sis were home Gil would let me stay home , after a bad cold / Flu diabetics get dehydrates and needs to drink plenty of liquids 24/7 , Gil knew I wasn't going to get up at night ,,, I knew it wouldn't do to cuss him out because he put his earplugs in , my only worry the Knights couldn't post , they may get angry and quit... Harvey also has a few ... I have a remedy for that I will try it next week everyone will be happy Hahahaha
    Love Witchy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Knights are committed to Nanook. I don't think they will quit. Maybe we should start another private blog just for Harvey and the kids and keep WAG just for us. I am wondering what your remedy is.
    I am so happy you are back and are okay Sweetie. How bout a chat Tuesday night if you are feeling up to it?
    Love Shadow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can trust Harvey to do as Dad did when the Knights wanted to write you something .
    1. Another private blog would only mean someone couldn't post unless invited .

    2 . All our blogs will be connected when we log into any one of them , it will be on your dashboard with the others ... I am far behind on WB's recipes / Maxy's sez ...

    I'm okay as I've always said I control my illness , i really don't overdo myself seeing about others , I try to keep my family well , anytime I get a bad cold or the flu I get dehydrated and Gil had to leave town , Sis was out of town ... sweetie the tongue lashing she gave Gil / Dad about the Italy incident Gil would have got her here .
    Love Witchy

    I would love to have a chat , I got the message today after I did my posting and It was to late to tell you yes or no , Pick another day I will be here .

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs