Thursday, August 16, 2012



Dear Maxy,
I recently ran into an old acquaintance at a mutual friend's party . Afterward , one of the guests pointed out that my acquaintance had been arrested for a serious crime some years back . I was shocked and didn't believe it until I read an article about the incident .
Normally , it wouldn't make any difference . She and I rarely see each other . But at the gathering she had said she hoped we could rekindle our friendship . Now I'm not so sure . It is true that the offense occurred years ago and has nothing to do with me . But what I learned about her behavior gave me the creeps .
Should I blow her off , ignore what I learned and befriend her again , or ask her about it ?
Unsure
Dear Unsure ,
Here's an example of how the past often catches up with the present . This woman is trying to live her life and likely trying to repent for her transgressions . If her past behavior could have an negative impact on you , then you may want to either not rekindle the friendship or ask her about it .
 However , if her past doesn't effect you in any way other than that you learned about it and it's unpleasant , keep it to yourself . I imagine you wouldn't appreciate someone bringing up any indiscretions from your past simply because the person learned about it . If you want to be friends with her , move forward by accepting her invitation . If you don't , keep things as they are , seeing each other from time to time but without intimacy .
Maxy
Dear Maxy ,
My sister and her boyfriend broke up a few months ago , and , according to her , it was really ugly . I suppected that he was a jerk , but he was worse than I imagined . The second that she lost her job , he was out . He was totally not there for her when she really needed him the most . Part of me has wanted to reach out to him and curse him out , but my sister asked me not to say anything .
He called me the other day out of the blue . The call went to voice mail . He acted like everything was normal . I'm wondering if I should call him back and then curse him out or even just see what he wants . . What do you think ?
Mad
Dear Mad , He's given you your entree . Yes , you can call him back , but don't begin with a verbal assault . Find out what he has to say for himself . Listen . Before you get off the phone , tell him how angry you are that he was thoughtless and cruel to your sister . He earned the earful that says he should be ashamed of himself ... but without the expletives .
Maxy
Dear Maxy ,
My sister , "Mary" was divorced a few years ago . She's been seeing a counselor for two years because she enabled her lazy husband .
Here's the problem , Mary has "adopted" my family because one of her daughters has disowned her , her ex- husband won't speak to her because Mary verbally attacked her , and her other daughter wants to be left alone for a while .
If there is a holiday , Mary wants to be invited to be with my family . If there is a birthday or wedding , even on my husband's side , She has to send a card . Mary also is very domineering . She rips things out of my hand to put them away . She makes demeaning remarks about people and isn't happy with anything . Her co-workers don't do the work right , the neighbors do everything wrong , etc , etc . I could go on and on , but I don't want to sound like her . What do I do ?
Texas
Dear Texas ,
Let's separate this into sections . If Mary wants to send birthday , holiday or get well cards to anyone , that's fine . These sentiments are harmless and often appreciated by recipients , even if they seem a little strange to you . Mary clings to your family beacause she can't be with her own family , so it is a kindness to include her whenever possible . The rest sounds like depression and anger .
Set clear boundaries so Mary understands the limits of your tolerance . It's also OK to tell her that her complaints indicate that she is bitter and unhappy , and gently suggest that she discuss these things with her therapist .
Maxy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs